"Sleepy" Black Moor Goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dbelmont

AC Members
Jun 25, 2005
We've got a Black Moor Goldfish who's been spending a lot of time sleeping. It's been driving us nuts! He would find a snug little place in the rear of the tank, out of view, and rest down at the bottom of the tank, head-down, for hours. After I found this forum yesterday, I started researching, and thought he might possibly have a swim bladder problem, but it didn't seem right because when he was swimming, he was fine.

I became more convinced this evening as "Darth Vader" was bobbing about in the current created by our filter. He looked all but dead, "swimming" mostly upside-down. Poor little guy. I was about to quarantine him when "Mr. Incredible", our Calico goldfish, swam up and started nibbling on his fins.

He's floating about in a glass pitcher right now. I added a bubbler since it's such a small container. If he lives through the night, we'll pick up another aquarium tomorrow to quarantine him in, and try peas.

Wish me luck! My three-year-old really likes Darth Vader. I hope he comes back.

dbelmont

AC Members
Jun 25, 2005
5 gallon enough?

I'm getting a second tank to put Darth into. Is a 5-gallon enough for him if he's in it alone? He's a pretty small fish.

dbelmont

AC Members
Jun 25, 2005
Update

Darth Vader is now in his own tank. After looking at the 5 gallon tanks (can you believe that the photos on the side show as many as eight goldfish in one of those things?), I decided to go with another 10 gallon starter kit.

Since there was no time to cycle, I cheated - hope this works. I took the filter from the existing tank, a couple of the ornaments, and some of the gravel, and placed them in the new tank. I'm hoping that since there's only one fish in it, the bacteria will be able to grow fast enough to handle the bio load.

Darth is still bobbing about. Next comes the frozen peas!

Stix87

Stix87
Jun 14, 2005
Tampa Florida
i had a black moor gold fish, i called her TINA. she was my 1st fish and she's the one that got my started with aquriams. She died of ICK....poor things. i hope urs makes it

dbelmont

AC Members
Jun 25, 2005
Update - the force didn't help

Last night, Darth was bobbing about at the top of the tank, as he has been for the last couple of days. This time, however, he wasn't breathing. Poor little guy. I was really hoping he'd pull through. Max and I sat down and talked about sick fishies and what happens when they die. :-(

PurpleSmurf

AC Members
May 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
purplesmurf.com
:p You're not supposed to be responsible in that situation; you just run to the nearest Petsmart and pick up another.

Or if you're Arnold Schwarzenager you just have it cloned.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store