Jack Dempsey and Firemouth

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bigstorm

AC Members
Jun 26, 2005
southern WI
Im a newbie so if I ask a dumb question, thats why.

Ive got a 30 gal tank that has been running for 6 weeks. After having trouble with my nitrite and nitrate levels, things are looking pretty good now. I have a 2" Jack Dempsey, a 1.5" Elec Yellow african and a 3.5" Rainbow Shark. i would like to get a Firemouth. I know that the Jack is more aggressive, but my thought is that if i get a Firemouth that is bigger (3" or so) that they may be OK together.

Anyone have any experience with a Jack Dempsey and Firemouth in the same tank?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Yes, they'll coexist just fine...though, I wouldn't add any more fish to your 30g. Plan on upgrading to a bigger tank in the future. A JD needs at the very least a 55g. If it's a male JD I'd go even bigger..around 75g min.

dave76

Home Zookeeper in Training....
May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
I had a male JD and a male FM together and I had to seperate them. That was in a 100 gallon as well. I would say it would depend on if the fish see each other constantly, give hiding places that the weaker fish can run too. I eventually had to separate my fish. I would go with the JD alone unless you are planning on getting at least a 75 like he said.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I'm keeping a female JD with a male Firemouth in a 55g and they're getting along without out much problem at all. The Firemouth is extremely spunky and usually holds his own, but doesn't push it too far when he knows he's out-matched.

kevinfishboy

AC Members
Feb 7, 2004
rockford
Visit site
I have had experience with them mine got along great, and my buddy currently has 2firemouths and 1 JD in a 75g and they do just fine

bigstorm

AC Members
Jun 26, 2005
southern WI
I got the Firemouth last night. Even the the JD is only 2" and the Firemouth is 3", the JD was being a bully at first. Seems like the Firemouth likes to hang out behind some plants and avoid him. Its a little early to see how its going to work out, but they were better this morning than last night.

ashdavid

In Search Of Better Water Quality
Mar 27, 2005
Japan
I would say get rid of the elec yellow, their water needs are completely different. The JD is going to need a bigger tank, I would recomend a 75g or even bigger to fully enjoy him/her. Having fish like that in smallish tanks can create problems with aggression. And I can not see a problem with a firemouth, just watch the JD for aggression as they get older.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store