Sick Goldfish Hanging In There

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishMed

Registered Member
Jun 27, 2005
I have a 2" Comet Goldfish that started showing a white tuff almost like a mini cotton ball on top of his mouth on left side. I started treating tank for fungus 3 days ago, treated area on fish with hydrogen peroxide and neosporin on a Qtip for last two days. His fins are clamped but every now and then after treatment he seems to feel better,then by next day is looking sick again and white tuff comes back. Mouth has some red around the spot now and looks sore. He doesn't eat much I think it is too sore.Can I treat tank with kosher salt in case of ich? The water is fine I had it checked and the 10 gal tank had 2 small goldfish in it doing fine until another small comet is showing fin clamping now.Tank has no plants and an oustide filtering system only.
Any suggestions as what this stuff is and how to treat it. I have searched everywhere and tried just about everything.Thanks! :confused:

FishMed

Registered Member
Jun 27, 2005
Update on First Post of Sick Fish

Gold Comet is doing better. I seemed to have done all the right things in order for him to get back on his fins again. If anyone else has this problem with their tank and or fish, here is what I did.:
1. Changed 10% water change every other day.
2. Treated tank with Ph and ammonia treatment tablets.
3. Removed all living plants.
4. Added 2 Tbps. Kosher salt incase it was "ich." (10Gal Tank)
5. Fed it flaked foods and frozen peas cut in half.(It was spitting out flakes)
6. Made sure filter was off for a day when treating with Fungus Treatment.Turned it back on next day and changed removed 10% water and added fresh. Then I let filter run to help remove any ammonia build up which in turn removed some of the medicine I put in the day before. Removed any debrie on bottom or floating around with net or a siphone.That evening after filter ran awhile I removed additonal 10% water and added more before treating tank with another Fungus Tablet.(Turned filter off again and removed filter to semi clean anything trapped in it for it to function properly.(I tried not not clean it out all the good bacteria in the filtering system)
7. For two days, I removed fish gently with a net and dabbed the White sore area with Hydrogen peroxide on a Q-Tip( careful not to touch eyes ) and followed up with a dab of neosporin ointment and released him gently back into the water.(Treatment was recommended on another site.) He always seemed to be perkier after I did that, like he felt better acting more himself for awhile.Top of mouth I think was too sore for him to open and try to eat.

Today his nose area has what looks like a little clear skin scar left, not a large white cotton ball like before, redness around it is gone and he is now looking for food and eating with the other fish. He was getting thin.

I hope this helps everyone if you ever need it.I didn't know at the time these fish also liked veggies.Frozen peas cut in half so they can eat the center. Be sure to remove any food left in tank after 5 min.

Take Care and Have a Great 4th! :clap:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store