Cut Up Airline Tubing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dmtapp

Crazy But Not Insane
Mar 29, 2005
www.PictureTrail.com
Has anyone ever used cut up airline tubing as biological media instead of straws? Seems like they wouldn't float around and such. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Just getting feedback.

I've found this stuff at the hardware store for like 8 or 9 cents a foot.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
spartan said:
Or if you want plastic, try lego blocks or army men.

I have a buddy whos uses both of these in numerous filters and swears by them.

Wouldn't change for the world.

dmtapp

Crazy But Not Insane
Mar 29, 2005
www.PictureTrail.com
Well, I kinda, even before I read your responses, decided to try to look for army men. The dollar store I happened to go to had no army men (believe it or not). However they did have plastic kitchen scrubbers. I brought those home and filled my HOB with scrubbies, left the frames from old filters to hold them back and just put poly batting in front of the frame. Works great so far, but time will tell. I believe I have read that people have used these before for biological filters. Either way I'm trying it and will let you know how it goes.

maaltan

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
on the same note as kitchen scrubbers. You could try those body cleanser poofy things sold in the bath section, plain no soap ones of course. I was reading about how they can be used for breeding ghost shrimp, good refuge as well as a note about good refuge for the microorganisms they bab shrimp eat.

I would get one attached by a rope rather than one attached by the metal staple in the center. Also might not hurt to get white or neutral colored ones.. the dyes might leach ..maybe ..probably not but a bit of paranoia couldn't hurt.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store