Nation's Anxiety Causes Sci-Fi Movies!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Get a load of this!

Link: Chrisitian Science Monitor

Just when I thought I heard it all... well a lot of 'it'...

...... :laugh: :D :laugh:

Star Trek movies were not on their list... LOL
Star Trek is soooo untimely! No anxiety then I guess! :laugh:

Last edited:

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I think this a pretty commonly accepted belief... but it's most likely true of much of our media. If entertainment weren't responsive to the stuff going on around us, and to the current historical context, it wouldn't connect with us as much. Doesn't mean every film is tapped into some collective national psyche, but themes do seem to emerge.

Consider the post-WWII Japanese monster movies. They deal with some great horrifically-powerful creature being woken from it slumber, with Tokyo's destruction being the ultimate result. Sound familiar?

Interesting....

Jim

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
And while I don't like Sci - fi personally, it's a good medium for expressing societal concerns because it has elements that to us are a bit outlandish- so it's easier to mask themes that are frightening or maybe a little preachy. You see people (usually, at least in larger commercial films) work together to overcome a seemingly invincible antagonist and then carry on.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
The article was well-written, and would get some to see "their point", as intended. If you stand back and look at this "concept" - it falls right on its face!

As I mentioned, Star Trek movies and some others, don't equate with what the article wants you to believe.

If the article is 'true', then you must believe the nation is in constant anxiety.

I enjoyed (the article) how clever written text can be swayed in one direction or another! :D

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
we are always worried about something. And the article didn't say there is more science fiction in times of anxiety, it said that what's popular in science fiction (i.e.what sells movie tickets) changes in times of high anxiety. It even made the example of close encounters, etc. I'm not sure what falls on its face here, Star trek is a presence in pop culture, no doubt, I mean everybody knows who spock is, but it has more of a cult following. I wouldn't call it a popular series, so I don't see how it debunks the article. But even so, the themes of those shows change with the times don't they? everything does. Man, I can't believe I'm defending the position of the christian science monitor.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
ash said:
we are always worried about something. .. .... Man, I can't believe I'm defending the position of the christian science monitor.
:D -- See ?

If Star Trek "movies" can't be grouped in with the others, than the article "biased"...

(want to write more... but, gotta go -- w o r k.. :( )

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
I still don't see why the article is biased- it doesn't discuss star wars or the matrix series and they are much more popular than star trek- especially star trek movies. But you seriously don't see this phenomenon? Have you noticed how some years clusters of disaster movies pop up, or vampire movies, spy movies, etc?

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
ash said:
I still don't see why the article is biased- it doesn't discuss star wars or .. But you seriously don't see this phenomenon? ..?
It is biased. Where's the mention of Juassic Park movies. You see, what they are doing is being "selective" on what movies they want to fit into their topic.

----

I'm surprised at how quickly this ended up on PAGE 2 of GCC.

To be buried forever! ;;''''''''''''''''''' ............. :eek: :(

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
Well they can't mention every science fiction movie ever made- there are about a billion of them- but actually now that you mention it, I think Jurassic Park illustrates their point rather well. Jurassic park was insanely popular at a time when cloning was becoming more than science fiction- and while the writing was GHASTLY- it was more than just a special effects movie. Its whole point was to explore the ramifications of playing God at a time when we were beginning to do just that rather successfully.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store