Anatomy of a fish club meeting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
It came up in another thread what goes on at fish club meetings. So instead of hijacking Snakeice's thread, thought I'd start my own (for once, right?)
This is just the club I go to, maybe others can chime in whith what the clubs they are in do, and maybe we can exchange ideas.

I've not been a member long, but my friend has, so a lot of info is second hand. I can get further info if someone has questions.

Our club has an agenda and a newsletter. Dues are $20 a year for a family membership. General membership meetings are at a public location, when I first went they were at a public meeting room at a bank, now they are in a classroom at a parochial school. As payment members donated items and fish for a nice 55 gal tank for one of the classrooms, and help care for it.

Meetings follow the usual old business/new business format. Someone presents a program on an area of particular interest. The last meeting was on breeding bristlenose plecos, complete with powerpoint presentation. The club has 2 sales a year, and a fish show at the local mall once a year. There is usually discussion either leading up to or after these major events. The meeting is informal, a lot of people have known each other for years. At the end of the meetings they sell raffle tickets and have all kinds of donated goodies they raffel off...fish food, water conditioner, stick on thermometers, etc. And they have a speciman bowl show where people who have a certain kind of fish bring their best speicman and they are judged..they have a schedule in their newsletter as to what the type is for each mtg.

The officers meet monthly for an officers meeting, and they do go to each others homes for that.

The club also goes on driftwood hunting trips, and go out of town to other areas to shop at nice fish stores.

And they also get together for a family picnic in the summer and a weiner roast in the fall. There is also a website.

There is even a couple that met at club and got married!

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Very interesting. I hope I didn't sound like I was being a smart @&& or anything in the other thread :eek: . I just really wondered what went on, how planned it was, etc. Whenever I'm on here, my husband will walk by and yell into the room, "OH, my fishy swam today, and I fed him cucumber :rolleyes: "... He thinks hes soooo clever....Anyhow, I'm sure he would be amazed if I told him that people actually had meetings to talk fish like we do on here

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
Mine will wander past when I'm reading or typing, and sometimes stop and read. And he asks what's up when I laugh at something. I copy and email him some of the jokes off here (Thanks GEL!). I think there is so much out there about people meeting online and hooking up with other people online that I could see where they could feel threatened by something they don't have a part of.
My husband has his hobbies that I don't participate in, and I have mine. We help each other out with projects...mine's into Civil War renacting..I sew uniforms for him and bake homemade stuff for him to take, and I'll even go watch and take pics sometimes, but I'm not going to dress up and participate. DH will buy me tanks, help move them, wire things, and even go fish shopping with me, but he doesn't clean tanks. He does offer comments on what he's like to see..and I think I can get him to reinforce the floor in our family room for a bigger tank.
He wouldn't go to fish club meetings with me, but I wouldn't go to civil war group meetings with him.
Maybe it's something you grow into...not sure how old you and your husband are, but we are in our mid 40's and have been married 23 yrs. You get to where you appreicate doing your own thing occasionally. It makes the things you do together more interesting.

:OT: Oh lookie...I hijacked my own thread on the second post :p:

Last edited:

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
He just likes to mess around and give me a hard time! :OT: We've been married two, together about 6, so I've finally gotten to like time to myself. Its like, don't you have to go somewhere?!?! LOL

NOW, We return you to your regularly scheduled fish club thread :duh:

Must4ng s4lly

AC Members
Jan 9, 2004
Houston
Visit site
Can I hijack the thread back?? LOL! Anyway, I went to one meeting in my town and it was really bad! I am a very social person and pretty outgoing. When I got to the meeting no one welcomed me and it was almost impossible to break into any conversation to meet people. It is usually very easy for me to join a conersation, but not this time! the meeting was really strange and meandering and lasted 3 hours! uuugg! I will never go back! People in Houston are usually very friendly but I am not sure what rock these people crawled out from under...... very disappointing! :(

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
Must4ng s4lly said:
Can I hijack the thread back?? LOL! Anyway, I went to one meeting in my town and it was really bad! I am a very social person and pretty outgoing. When I got to the meeting no one welcomed me and it was almost impossible to break into any conversation to meet people. It is usually very easy for me to join a conersation, but not this time! the meeting was really strange and meandering and lasted 3 hours! uuugg! I will never go back! People in Houston are usually very friendly but I am not sure what rock these people crawled out from under...... very disappointing! :(
It's probably a group of people that have been together for a long time and have no clue how to welcome others into the group even tho they may know they need new members. It's kinda like that at the one I'm going to . I know most of the people, by sight if not by name, and one of the members is a friend that lives down the street from me..and I work with her. They do tend to talk a lot about their own stuff...and Sue will say how they need new people to do stuff, becasue it's the same people doing the same thing all the time. The programs are interesting, and I think I can learn something, so that's why I go. I do like the auctions...great source of stuff at a good price. There is another fish club in the area, and there has been talk of merging them since both are hurting for members. I think that would level the playing field, becasue groups like that can be clickey, whether they mean to or not.
I'm still trying to decide how involved I'm going to be..the site they moved their meetings to is in a church basement, and I have knee problems and just do't go when it's bad now. If it had better accessablity they mioght bet more people.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Must4ng s4lly said:
.. Anyway, I went to one meeting in my town and it was really bad! I am a very social person and pretty outgoing. When I got to the meeting no one welcomed me ... ... very disappointing! :(
Well, you can look at it this way - your city has a club. You're right, I wouldn't go back to those kind of people! If Orlando ever get's one going, I hate to say it, but it would be cliquesh too... Orlando is a strange and transient 'town'. Lots of people come and go. If you aren't bilingual, it can be tough in certain ways.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store