Angel Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stix87

Stix87
Jun 14, 2005
Tampa Florida
hey guys, i just bought two awesome looking pretty angel fish, the LFS called them tiger angel's. Their silver with black strips form head 2 toe (or head to finnage).. I have a comment/question, i know the males have more color. so i picked one that had dark black and extra shiny silver and one with just an nice silver but a light gray/black fading stripes, dule color. this is how i made my pair, she was actually almost completely silver. Well i put her in the tank and i go out to eat, two hours l8ter i come home to check on them and the "female" is just as dark as the male. it looked like i different fish.

When i approached the tank to look closer she slowly started to fade back to her boring light colors. i went to get my sister to show her. When i got back, again brillant color, but when my sister looked, they faded away again. Is this rapid pigment change normal for angels, i never heard of this. the "male" never changed his color, he always had brillant stripes. Is it just the females that change color. anyways i named the male daquri and the female margarita.
read my other post about names for some fun... :dive:

luvmyfish

AC Members
Jun 27, 2005
O.K. well...I've never heard of a tiger angel...as far as I know it is a marble angel with different markings than the common, anyway I could be wrong on that. I had one like you described, and it's colors would fade too. Cool huh?

CharlieV

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
There are 2 types of Angel fish Pterophyllum Altum and Scalare.
Altum's are normally wild caught and AKA deep bodied angels.
Scalare are tank bred starins (well they exist in wild but most in hobby are tank bred) and come in a lot more colours ie. Black marble, lace and not forgetting Altum Scalre!!! Altum Scalre are bred to resemble the real Altum's and have very similar colourings but their bodies are slightly more silver.

My Altums always loose their colour when I approach the tank to feed, then as soon as they start eating and realise i'm no threat they darken right back up again. I believe it is a stress reaction.

The only real way to tell male form female is the number of fronds (sorry don';t know proper term!) starting from their head to end of tail. The females (if i remember rightly - am at work at the moment!) have 37 and males have 32.

hope my limited knowledge helps!

Stix87

Stix87
Jun 14, 2005
Tampa Florida
i well its not a marble, ive never heard of a tiger angel either until i got mine, the strips are exactly at the same place for both fish, and go close ot prefectly down and are paralle, i thiought they were zebra angels, but they are only silver and blk, no brown, and ive seen pictures of zebra angels, and they are diffently not zebra

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
the easyest way to tell a male angel from a female angel is form the female, behind their anal fin there should be a lil red bump that the male dosnt have. and your angels have to be quite matured for them to even decided if their male or female cause their born as none.

CharlieV

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005

Stix87

Stix87
Jun 14, 2005
Tampa Florida
yeah ur right charlie V

:cool: yeah it is that one in the links, alot of those look like marble angels, but the few that have the same consistant stripes up and down are the kind i have

besyboom

coriecrazy
Jun 13, 2005
florida
Sorry To butt in but, your angels sound beautiful. i have been searching for the brown for bout 6 months now, Very hard to find.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store