8" albino chocolate pleco problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lakota

AC Members
Jan 5, 2004
Maryland, USA
Hello.
Just have a quick question. About 6-8 months ago I went to my LFS and bought this cute little 1-2 inch albino chocolate pleco, in which, of course, they told me that it would only get slightly larger then it is now. Which, I Knew was a bunch of bull because I've owned choco plecos before and I knew that it was a lie. I still wanted the lil guy cuz I liked my old one and I just like that particular type of pleco. Now, the problem. My cute little guy is grown to at least 8 inches in my 30 gallon tank and my regular LFS closed down due :( to family issues. Now, I have no one to sell back(did it all the time with MY LFS)
Where, if anywhere can I trade him in for or just give him to a store, something, he looks very uncomfortable in my 30 gallon at this time.
Any suggestions??

Thanks in advanced
Lakota

Calico Goat

AC Members
Jun 5, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Well, my best suggestion would have been not to get the plecostomus, especially if you knew that it would reach eight inches, so, really, how silly were you? You'll have to either put up a post in the classifieds or get a bigger tank for him. I have a Chocolate Albino Pl*co (4" now, when my grandfater comes out to visit we might build a tank, if not, I've a backup) and I knew just how big it was going to be and planned accordingly.
I don't mean to chastize, but you knew how big this fish would get and you still bought it...

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Call around to any fish stores within driving distance and see if you can give it away. You could also post a FREE listing on here to see if there is anyone in your area that would take it. In the future, its really best to ONLY get fish that you can accomodate at their full grown size. There are plenty of fun and pretty fish that would be perfect for your size tank. Its really not fair of you to keep a fish in unproper conditions just because you like it, then expect someone else to be responsible for it when you can no longer house it :( .... There is a difference between making the common newbie mistake of not researching before you buy and purposely buying a fish you cannot provide for :thud:

Calico Goat

AC Members
Jun 5, 2005
Charlotte, NC
And if, as you say, you were doing sellbacks "all the time" with your old LFS, doesn't that strike you as being, oh, I don't know...a little irresponsible?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store