dying anemone? or is it?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wannabefishguru

learning to be the best
I have a pink tipped haitian anemone that i got about a month ago. It was doing great but now it well shrible up and turn greyish brown and then later on act like it is normal but it has a more brownish hue to it. I have a 55 gallon fish only tank and it is maintained regularly. :confused:

I have been around the block with freshwater before but I am still getting used to salt.

wannabefishguru

learning to be the best
the tank is about 3 months old, i have flourecent lighting but with the fish type bulbs that came with the tank about 2 years ago and the only water parameters that I check is nitrate, this is what my lfs told me.

alt-229

Registered Member
Jul 1, 2005
I'm no expert(yet). But I have had similar problems before. I have a 55g with Live rock/ live sand, couple o' clowns, blenny, crabs, snails, sea star, and a bubble tip anemone.

What other inhabitants are in the tank and for how long?
What kind of filtration?

The reason I ask is that three months may or may not be enough time to have a good biological filtration base. Depending on the biologic load of the tank, you may be in the middle of the cycle.

That is why you should probably check more than nitrates. Check nitrites and ammonia as well, and keep a log, especially when running in a filter. Anemones do not do well in poor water quality, and this means more than just nitrates.

Another thing to be concerned with for anemones is that they do need sufficient lighting. Many people will recommend that you have at least Power Compact lighting. I have kept some basic anemones for many years with regular flourescents. However, the bulbs lose their strength over time, even if they still seem to work. I would replace at least one of those two year old bulbs.

Good luck with it!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store