Betta Life & Spawning

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

batray girl

AC Members
Jun 16, 2005
east coast U.S.
I've started breeding a few of my bettas and I was hoping that perhaps some of you may have some advice for me. Or maybe would like to know what I've tried, so you can avoid making the same mistakes haha :)
Is feeding them brine shrimp during conditioning for spawning worth it? The shrimp stay so small and don't seem to be large enough to provide a whole lot of sustinance. What else is good to fatten them up?
I had also been wondering if anyone else has run into the same problem as I have: my paired male doesn't seem interested in his mate. He's built bubble nests before, but only when his tank was next to the tank with ALL of the females in it. What's going on with that?

Smitti

AC Members
May 29, 2005
Wasaga Beach On
The general "rule" that i have heard is that its one Male to 2 Females.....y I'm not sure that is just what i read somewhere when i was reading up on Bettas before i got my first one!

Hope this helps a bit....
~Smitti

Biznatch

AC Members
Feb 17, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I think you are mixing it up with other types of fish. Just search google for betta breeding and it will give you step by step how to do it. Doesn't seem that difficult either.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Make sure you have everything you need for it. This link provides a pretty decent rundown of what all is needed, as well as a price breakdown. It takes a nice investment up front to really go through with a betta spawn. I highly recommend this article for anyone who thinks they want to breed bettas. Best of luck!

batray girl

AC Members
Jun 16, 2005
east coast U.S.
thank you guys very much. i've read a lot of the internet instructions already. i just wanted to gather some tips from individuals and learn more about what not to do before i continue.

dabubbakin

Quartermaster
Jul 1, 2005
Upstate New York
I have a dumb question that I should maybe wait to ask my fish dealer so I don't look so stupid.
I know you can't have to male bettas in a tank together.
Does that mean you can't one of them in a community tank?

If you can that why the heck are they so mean to the same species?

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Yes, you can have bettas in a community tank. They do well with fish that do not look like them in any sense. For instance, cory cats and neon tetras are often paired with bettas. As to why they fight amongst themselves, well, it's an instinct bred into them, more or less. Have you ever seen a pretty girl and then felt the need to make sure she notices you and ont some other guy? So, maybe you tried showing that other guy up a bit? Well, bettas tend to do this in the extreme and without the presence of females. :) Anyway, the general rule of thumb, betta-wise, is keep them with other species in larger tank. Avoid anything "finny", for lack of a better term, meaning anything with long or flowing fins, like angelfishl,some goldies and male guppies, with their elaborate tails. Also, avoid other anabantids (labyrinth fish) like gouramis as they are a related specie and could trigger the fight mechanism. In general, anabantids should not be mixed. There are, of course exceptions to the rule and on a fish by fish basis.

PS - You only look stupid if you don't ask the question and then lose some fish because you were too worried about looking stupid. ;)

dabubbakin

Quartermaster
Jul 1, 2005
Upstate New York
Thanks for the answer.
Personally I think these fish are a little boring.
Maybe I just know what's really out there?

What are some good links?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store