buying a 150 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bullshark

Bullshark
Mar 12, 2005
Toronto
Hi all,

I was about to buy a used 90 gallon tank but came across a 150 gallon perfecto tank that is almost brand new. It is only a few months old and the owner has not had fish in it. It's huge - 48 x 24 x 30.

I worked a deal out for the tank, hood / glass top, light and wood stand for $700 cash. I believe this is steal / same tank at Big Als is going for over $1100.

Do you think an aqua clear 500 combined with a Emperor 400 is enough filtration for 150 gal?

Anyone have a comment on this deal?

Thanks !

Kasakato

SatCan
Sep 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
First off...Nice Find!

The AC has a flow rating of about 500GPH
The Emp 400 has a rating of about 400GPH

That gives you a total of: 1100GPH

The tank should have a turn over rate of about 5-6 times per hour

So the target GPH is 750GPH plus. With 1100GPH the turnover rate is 7.333 which is perfect for the tank!

bullshark

Bullshark
Mar 12, 2005
Toronto
Hey thanks a ton for the info about my filters. I will be using both in my new tank. I thought I would need to get into a canister type filter. One day I will but for now I want to be able to use the AQ 500 and Emp 400. Both are less than a year old.

I have been searching for a bigger tank x 2 months and almost bought a 90 gallon but the seller backed out / sold it to someone else for more $. Luck me as I would rather spend a few extra $$ for a 150 gallon (almost new). I pick it up this Sat. My current cichlids will love the new size.

Cheers

bullshark

Bullshark
Mar 12, 2005
Toronto
Thanks for the info. If I wanted to use a canister I guess I would need to buy two (to get up to the 750GPH. I was looking at the FilStar xP3 Canister Filter (350gph). I would need two of these (at $200 each I better stick with my power filters).

I'll look for the site I used to find the 150 gallon. I pick the tank up tomorrow. My cichlids are moving to a nice home! 75 gallon is big but 150 is HUGE! I'm very excited.

Kasakato

SatCan
Sep 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Canisters are the best filter IMO. I have a FilStar 1 on my 20g and its great. Easily clean up, and its very effective. I got it at www.bigalsonline.com during their Boxing Days sale, right after Chrisman. It [xP1] was originally $150 down to $80. But now the price is $100 it should be lower at the next sale. So the xP2 should be on sale at $150 this year. Everything else including food, fish, and all stock also goes on sale. I’m waiting until then to buy more stuff.

I hope your tank goes well! Take some pics of you can too!

bullshark

Bullshark
Mar 12, 2005
Toronto
Cheers / will post a pic as soon as i can. Any comment on a sand bottom vs. stones? I was planning to use white sand from Big als.

Kasakato

SatCan
Sep 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Sand is more work than gravel. With gravel you just need to vac it while doing a water change. With sand you need to just "hover" the gravel vac above the sand to suck up the fish poo. You also need stir up the sand with your finger every month or so, to avoid toxic gas build up. A pre filter, like a sponge over the intake of the filters will also keep sand out of the filter. You want to do this because sand will erode at the plastic impeller. Just remember that which ever you go with, to wash it out well or else you will end up with very cloudy water for a few days!

bullshark

Bullshark
Mar 12, 2005
Toronto
Man you know a lot - thanks. I did read about the toxic gas. Not sure I will go for sand as I'm not sure if my cichlids would like it. Goal is to make them happy. I may stick with a fine salt and pepper gravel. Cheers

bullshark

Bullshark
Mar 12, 2005
Toronto
Kasakato said:
Sand is more work than gravel. With gravel you just need to vac it while doing a water change. With sand you need to just "hover" the gravel vac above the sand to suck up the fish poo. You also need stir up the sand with your finger every month or so, to avoid toxic gas build up. A pre filter, like a sponge over the intake of the filters will also keep sand out of the filter. You want to do this because sand will erode at the plastic impeller. Just remember that which ever you go with, to wash it out well or else you will end up with very cloudy water for a few days!
One last question - any recommendations on how to wash out sand before putting into the tank? It's so fine?

cheers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store