Cycling Taking a Long TIme

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Peteisrad

AC Members
Jan 12, 2003
Nashville, TN
Visit site
IVe been cycling my tank for over a month now, and its still in the ammonia stage of the cycle. I thought this was supposed to be the quickest stage. I'm wondering why this is taking so long and if there is anythig i can do to speed things up

1. I was wondering if it had anything to do with me keeping the lights off almost all of the time. Does the baceria need light to grow? Ive been keeping the lights on more for the last couple of days just incase.

2. ITs a 29 gal tank. When I started the cycle, the guy at the LFS gave me over two dozen feeder goldfish to do the cycle. I later realized that this was wrong. Hence, I've lost about 20 of them so far. Could the ammonia stage be taking so long just because there were way too many fish to begin with and the spike was too high? Ive had toxic levels of ammonia for three weeks now. It just doesnt seem to want to go into the next stage of the cycle.

I was thinking of taking the remaining fish back to the store so they wont die in my tank. I also figured that maybe if all the fish are gone the cycle could go on cause there would be no production of ammonia. could this speed the process up a bit??

Any advice would help. Thanks!

Pete

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
I'm sure that the guy at the store didn't really care sinse that was like instant death for the fish, overstocking them in an un cycled tank. He just wanted to make a sale.

My cycle is taking longer then expected too. I have been in the nitrite stage for a long time now, about 1 1/2-2 weeks. It should be done soon though.

If I were you, I would return those fish and do a fishless cycle as it does not stress any fish.

check out my page for info on fishless cycling.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yes, the amazingly high levels of ammonia are certainly part of the problem. The ammonia is probably causing the pH to fluctuate. Combine these 2 and you have an environment that's going to be rough to stabilize.

Take the fish back--they won't survive much longer anyway. Do water changes to drop the ammonia down to about 5, then do a fishless cycle using a bottle of ammonia. If you can get some gravel/media from a mature tank, add it after the water changes to help provide a starter culture. Then, monitor and add ammonia as needed. Nitrites should show up within the first 10 days, IME, right as the ammonia levels off and zeroes out.

I'd try to find a new LFS as well. I know it's not always possible, but the first one sounds bad. If you have no other choice, please don't go there for advice. Even those who advocate cycling with fish recommend using one or two hardy fish, not feeders of any kind. On the plus side, if those goldfish did bring anything nasty in (they frequently carry diseases and parasites), the length of the fishless cycling process will kill them off.

Sorry--you got some bad advice.

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
I agree with OrionGirl on all points. At this point, given the diseases that may have come in with the goldfish, a fishless period could be the best way to decontaminate your tank. Make sure the ammonia you buy has no additives, and you'll be fine. The cycling sticky thread has a lot of info on this subject, too.

Peteisrad

AC Members
Jan 12, 2003
Nashville, TN
Visit site
thnaks for the advice!!

Yeah, I was pretty much going to take the fish back anyways. And yes, I'm not going to go to this fish store anymore. There is a better one in town, I just stopped by this one to get my starter fish cause i was in the neighborhood.

But another thing: If I already have high ammonia levels, then why do I have to get the ammonia for the fishless cycle?:confused:

Pete

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The ammonia currently in your tank will begin to drop as the bacteria bed develops to process it. Most likely, the bacteria will consume all the available ammonia before the nitrite consuming bacteria are fully established. Once the ammonia hits zero, the ammonia consuming bacteria will begin to die off if you don't supplement the tank with ammonia. The tank is cycled when you can add enough ammonia for a reading of 5 ppm and have ammonia, nitrites test zero within 24 hours.

If you don't supplement the ammonia, the tank will re-cycle when you add fish again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store