150 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bullshark

Bullshark
Mar 12, 2005
Toronto
Hi all,

I've had some great advice on filtration for 150 gallon tank. Anyone else have a comment on proper filtration for a 150 gallon tank. My new tank is 48x24x30. Should I also add a powerhead for more water movement (note it is a cichlid tank). Any comments on air pumps & getting enough oxygen into the water for 150 gallons?

If you have any other advice it would be appreciated (do's and don'ts for a big tank).

Thanks

Last edited:

aknif

...maybe the Dingo ate your baby!!
Dec 27, 2004
Denver, CO
Hi There! Congrats on your big, new tank! :dance: I am a fan of over-filtration myself. My 125 gallon has an UGF run with 3 power heads and 3 regular uplift tubes run by airstones and a large air pump, along with 2 Emperor 400's and a Top Fin 60. The Top Fin was a freebie to me, and I plan to replace it with another Emperor 400 when it dies. I also have the extra media cartridges in the Emperors filled with ceramic media pebbles to further the bio-filtration.

That's my tank!

Congrats again!
Amy

aknif

...maybe the Dingo ate your baby!!
Dec 27, 2004
Denver, CO
Oh yea, as far as "Do's and Don'ts" are concerned.... DO enjoy the hell out of it and DON'T try to swim in it! ;) No seriously, the only thing I can think of is to consider Prime for your dechlorinator. I used Novaqua for years and was happy with it.... when I only had 10 and 20 and 30 gallon tanks. When you get into a big tank like this, I was blowing through bottles of that stuff. Prime, is just 2 capfuls at each water change and that's it... MUCH more economical.

Oh yea, and washing 150 pounds of gravel for it really blows an afternoon!

:eek:

bullshark

Bullshark
Mar 12, 2005
Toronto
Cheers Amy!

I plan to run my current emperor 400 and Aqua Clear 500 - I'm hoping this will do the job. Another gent from this site gave me some good info and he believes these two should be fine (over 1000 GPH with both running at full steam). My fish should love their new home.

bullshark

Bullshark
Mar 12, 2005
Toronto
Ha - so true. Will look into the Prime. I'll also send you a pic once i get the conversion from my 75 to the big guy completed.

Any comment on Sand for subtrate?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store