Can other fish eat Betta food?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LogJam

Learning more all the time...
Mar 30, 2005
Hello All:

I recently received a free sample of "Bio-Blend Betta Fish Food" by Marineland Labs. The thing is, I don't have a betta. I do have: Cories, Zebra Danios, Gold Barbs, Swordtails, otos, and black skirt tetras.

Can I feed a little of this new food along with my normal flake to these fish, or will this cause problems?

BTW, will a betta eat the normal TetraColor flake I feed my other fish - if I were to add a betta at some point in the future?

Thanks,
LogJam

lbritish

AC Members
fish generally will eat any food they are provided if hungry enough... typically if it is a veggie food or a meat food or a blend food any food that is the same type will generally be accepted by other fish that eat that same type. The names on the food many times are just marketing or a slightly different delivery method that may be prefered by one species over a different kind of delivery method such as discs vs pellets vs flake. Also in some cases the size of the pellets change to "fit in the mouth easier"

There are a few exception where the composition of the food may be too rich in certain things where it may cause constipation or gas though... I generally find it's best to mix the types of food between dry and frozen if possible so they dont eat the same thing all the time.

Michael_G

AC Members
Mar 21, 2005
well when i had zebras theyd eat all the betta food id put in there for the betta. doesnt mean if they eat iit its good for them.like human eat mcdonalds it doent make it any better for their health

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
alot of bettas will ignore flake food, but you might get lucky :p:

Reactions: SZablocki13

thesydmonster

AC Members
Apr 4, 2005
My zebra danios eat the betta pellets once in a while, they've had no problems -- I also feed frozen and freeze dried bloodworms and flake food. The betta eats it all, including the flakes. He even checks out the zucchini and sinking wafers for my oto!

SZablocki13

Registered Member
Feb 12, 2020
I have a betta, at first I did the whole vase trendy thing and realized that as happy as he was to be out of that small plastic container, he still had no room to move. We upgraded to a 3 gallon and honestly, with tons of live plants and good water he is striving. We also feed him fresh shrimp, fresh tuna, peas and hardly any commercial food. He seems to be doing really well. He swims constantly, loves the filter ( on the lowest setting ), sleeps on leaves and engages a lot with us when we're near the tank. He's in a dark spot with no sun, but has a light above his tank. I've had a 10 gallon and did better with this 3 gallon set up with living plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store