Another ick question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mtweldon

AC Members
Jul 8, 2005
Well I have had my tank for a month and a half no problems.. then one day I noticed the a couple white spots on one of my loaches out of 3.. hour later I ran to the store and bought ick tablets by aquarium products. Put half the reccomended dosage as it said for sensitive fish. Well next day it looked ever worse. Did a 30% water change added another dose.
Next day it still looked terrible. Went to a great fish store and bought a liquid that contained malachite green as its main ingredient. The owner of the store said he has much success with curing it on loaches and all the other fish in his store. Well I got home and my black ghost, whom had no ick at all died ;( Later I figured out he probably died from the medicine I believe? Well after leaving the filters in 24 hours I added a dose of the liquid ick killer, after removing filters again.. A day later 2 of my loaches have died:help: covered in white spots and it looks like their skin is pealing.. ugh and one is in hiding, hopefully alive.
Im going to wait a month or so, but incase that happens again, what can I do to keep this from happening, or treat it better? I have a 55 gallon tank. I did add about 10 tblspoons of aquarium salt when I first spotted it. The temp right now is around 80o. All of my other fish might have had 1 spot, or no visible ick and were cured after the first day or 2. I loved the loaches and the ghost was one of the most unique fish I have seen. I saddens me to have them die, just looking for better detailed advice.

mvigor

Aquarium Hobbyist
Mar 24, 2005
Lunchlady land
www.vigorfamily.com
If your tank is now empty, or will be empty soon, you can get rid of any ick in the tank by just waiting for it's life cycle to play out. With nothing to feed on it will die. That's not to say you won't bring any new ick in with the new fish though.

Next time instead of medicine try the highest recommended dose of salt and the highest recommended temperature for your fish. No meds, just salt and heat.

mtweldon

AC Members
Jul 8, 2005
I currently have:
4 Zebra fish
2 Swordtails male/female
4 tetras 2 neon/ 2 bloodfin
2 head and tail lights.. is that the right name?
1 pleco
1 beta fish
possibly 1 loach? ever since the ick came he started hiding during the day.
The other fish are perfect. The first day I noticed the ick, the beta looked terrible I think he sat under a plant for 12-24 hours.. after the first dose of medicine/salt and the water change he jumped up swam around and was perfect and looks as beautiful as always.
What can I do to make sure that the ick is gone before I add new loaches in a month or so?

mtweldon

AC Members
Jul 8, 2005
Also a question on black ghost knifefish.. is it safe to use salt to get rid of ick with him, it seems the medicine killed him last time, and I sure cant afford to loose another ghost, but they are so interesting to watch, and I got mine to eat out of my hand before he left me ;(

mtweldon

AC Members
Jul 8, 2005
wow, ok thanks. Will keep that in mind once I get the funds and get the current problem out of the way.

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Unless you can get your hands on a tank about twice the size you have (recommended tank size for the fish), I would not replace the ghost, they can get almost 2 feet long!!! I think there are similar fish that do not get quite as large, you might want to do some research and see if you can find one that would be more appropriate for the size tank you have. Plus, a BGK would have eaten all your other fish once it got big enough :eek: !!! Also, what kind of loach do/did you have?

Next time, like the other post said, definately give the salt treatment a try first. Whatever you treat with, it is important to treat for the recommended length of time. Even if you cannot see spots, and the fish are back to normal, ich does not clear up in a couple of days, it can actually take a couple of weeks.

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
Don't know if you have seen this or not, but the link at the top of the page has a lot of helpful articles: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39759
The guy that wrote this, Daveedka is great and if you have any questions pm him. I had ICH in my 55 gal, I followed this and had no fish losses.

And I have thought about a BGK fish, and what Holly posts is exactly what my research turned up...they eat everything, and they get really big. There are other knife fish that stay smaller. You might check out one of those.

FishFreak101

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
I had a case of ick in my tank what used to cure it was quick cure and aquarium salt. i sugest u use quick cure though its awsome!

MrAquarium

AC Members
Mar 13, 2005
Make sure your fish are Ok with salt, many fish in todays hobby by adding salt to the tank will kill them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store