Discus Tank Size

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rylan Z

Krib breeder
Jul 7, 2005
canada
Im interested in gettinf discus but i dont nkow if i can keep some discus along with a school of tetras or something in a 40g tank it is not aa hexagon but a tall 40g will this be ok to keep like 3 discus and like a school a 12 neons or something?

davesanchez

exoticfishfactory.com
For adult Discus 1 per ten gallons is about right. smaller you can do a bit more but keep in mind they will grow. For what you have in mind that sounds great. I would ony suggest you make sure you quarantine those tetras which ever you choose before you add them with the Discus. Goodluck with your new Discus.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
1 per 10g doesn't mean you can put a single discus in a 10g tank, however. ;) Just thought I'd clarify.
For Discus the min tank I'd start out with would be about a 50g. You could fit at the most 4-5 adults in there with very good filtration and tons of water changes. Though I think your tank idea would work.

icka

AC Members
Jun 16, 2005
Indiana
make certain you COMPLETELY research discus first, they are VERY hard to keep and typically require a VERY well established tank that is guarenteed to have no ammonia spiking.

Ripples

Mad fish lady
Feb 14, 2005
London UK
Amazingly having thought discus were completely fussy about water parameters my london LFS had a tank full (they're a really reputable lfs too) with a sign saying 'Discus - raised and living in London tap water'.. I guess that captive breeding is gradually raising their tolerance to living in our tanks. Still - I wouldn't risk it unless I was ready to treat my water like liquid gold!
R

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store