Native tank, a documented startup.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mrbigisbudgood

AC Members
Jun 17, 2003
Illinois
Visit site
I haven't found a wealth of information on this subject, so I figured I'd document the startup life of the native species tank I'm starting.

First off, I decided to do a native species tank when I moved back to Illinois. We have so many neat looking sunfish species that alot of people have never seen, I wanted to give some people a glimpse of what is really in the water around here. My plan is to start with a 30 gallon, and move to an 85 gallon once I get things working and I have a good understanding of the fish and creating a comfortable environment for them.

I got my 30 gallon converted from saltwater to freshwater, it took me 6 hours of cleaning salt off the filters to get it ready. I'm using an HOT filter, with a biowheel and a powerhead. Black gravel base about 4" thick. No heater. This tank is in my finished basement which is stable in temp with a little bit of seasonal change, current tank temp is 75. I grabbed a structure out of my other freshwater tank, put it in, threw some food in the tank to get it to cycle.

3 days later, the tank is chemically showing signs of being ready, I do a water change, grab the fly rod, a box of small flies, and head to my grandpas pond (another one of my fish population management projects). I got 2 Bluegill with my first 2 casts, there are thousands as they have spawned about a month ago......(So I threw on a large popper and caught a 3.5 lb. Largemouth, admired her bueatiful greenish/blue coloration, and set her back in the weedbed she came out of to be caught another day)....filled my bucket up with water put the gills in, and dropped in an airstone for the ride home.

I got the fish acclimated and released them into their new home. The smaller of the 2 acted comfortable right away, finding a structure, and assumed a hunting position. The larger of the 2 freaked, darting madly and ended up injuring himself a little on the tail. I put in a scoop of "Please Release Me" (bass fishing livewell additive, it's like fish dope) and he calmed down a bit after it took effect.

3 days later, the smaller of the two seems content, he's found a hunting spot he likes, has even dug a small depression so he can get down lower. He's been eating wax worms and tiny largemouth fry scooped out of the same pond with a dip net, I believe he's picked off a couple snails that hitched a ride out of the old tank as well. The larger of the two freaked out after the PRM wore off, he made his injuries worse and was laying at the bottom of the tank, barely breathing. So I bucketed him, took him back to the pond, and no sooner did he drift down a couple feet, a largemouth swallowed him up.

I'm currently working on getting the remaining gill to eat dry food. He has shown zero interest so far. I've also caught some moths and stuff hanging around lights at night and thrown them in the tank. It's neat to watch the gill hunt down the insect on the top of the water. They approach, pause, approach, pause, approach, pause, strike. It's neat.

More as the life of the tank progresses..............

greendeltatke

AC Members
Mar 28, 2005
Chicago
What part of Illinois do you live in? Up here, even in the polluted Des Plaines River we caught an orange-spotted sunfish. It was really gorgeous. If we had a spare tank I would have taken him home.

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Bluegill, green sunfish and orange spotted sunfish make great aquarium fish.

I've kept longears, bluegill, greens, redbreasts.

I currently have a rock bass.

Fish-Head Aric

Fish-Head Aric
Jul 8, 2005
Chehalis, WA USA
groups.msn.com
In high school (way back in the 80s) I had a 50 gallon tank I'd got for home to put my Jack Dempsey in. He was being kept at the school marine bio lab.

So, I put a small mouth bass, a crappie, and a mud catfish in the 50 gallon home tank for awhile. The bass died but the crappie and catfish thrived well for several months.

I then brought Jack home because students began trying to feed him sticklebacks caught on field trips, and I didn't want him hurt by the barbs. Also, wondered how to see how he'd interact with the other two fishes, the crappie being a bit larger than him and the catfish as well being about 1/5 times his length. The crappie fell in love with Jack and was always trying to be buddy-buddy, but Jack absolutely hated it and tore into the crappie when ever it got near. So, I took the crappie and set it free before it got too battered.

Jack then got bored and noticed the catfish, who never messed with anyone. Jack started to poke at the catfish, and immediately found himself SLAMMED against the rocks by that powerful tail. After a couple of those times Jack kept far away from the catfish though the catfish never bothered him without cause. A very interesting observation in "fish personality" is that Jack was extremely neurotic and would never stop watching the catfish. He showed obvious nervousness and wouldn't ever "rest." So, I removed the catfish and Jack was happy. Jack was a very aggressive fish, and I think there being a stronger fish in the tank just made him crazy.

I knew Jack Dempseys to be "species" fish, but also knew that some cichlids will adapt and accept others if the other fishes were residents first. But Jack had not lived with any other fish for years, probably since being a little gimper. He was definitely anti-social.

mrbigisbudgood

AC Members
Jun 17, 2003
Illinois
Visit site
So the tank has been rocking along pretty well.......until Wednesday. I dropped a couple wax worms in the tank and noticed water on the side. I wiped if off, it reappeared. I have a leak. I ran to Petsmart and got a 46 gallon bowfront and my wife and I did a switcheroo yesterday. The fish seemed to handle it pretty well.

Regardless. The Bluegill in the tank has become quite friendly, despite me putting a hook in his mouth two months ago. He'll take wax worms out of my fingers most of the time. He'll follow me around the room and raise his fins like a Betta does, maybe he's proviking me to reach in so he can stick my hand full of dorsal spines.

I got two goldfish from a friends failed backyard pond to keep him company. With the lack of rain, we've been put on water conservation and he can't keep if filled, legally. Maybe I'll get a Largemouth this weekend and watch him hunt the goldfish down.

I got the BG to take dry food. He seems to like Chiclid food best, possibly because of the floating nature of the food. Tends to stay away from the goldfish flake.

Bluegill are extremely messy. No question about it. They crap like pandas. However, this has caused the snail population to go mad, and the Bluegill HAS been picking snails off. Funny how that works sometimes.

I've been using distilled water fromfor water changes, our city water sucks big time. I'm trying to keep the nitrates below 10, because I don't know what Bluegill can tolerate. I assume they can survive some nasty conditions, because they're known for being a really tough fish, but I don't want to take that chance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store