lighting question: Actinic counts towards wpg?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aristotle

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
Reston, VA
I apologize for asking such an extremely basic question, but I'd like to clarify my math before I start finalizing plans. I'm brand new to the concept of lighting. I've been looking at the Current USA PowerCompact Orbit fixtures.

So here is my question. I know the LED Moon Lights don't add to my wattage per gallon, but do the actinics? The 48" fixture I am eyeing has 2 dual 65w daylight lamps and 2 dual 65w actinic lamps. So, do I add all 4 lamps to get ~4.7 watts per gallon for a 55 gallon tank, or do the actinics figure in different?

I just want to make sure I have sufficient lighting for a variety of corals and critters.

Civicman86

AC Members
Jan 31, 2005
Im not an expert but I think that it would. IF you run both types of light at the same time, you will probally want to use that numbers as how many watts per gallon. Seems to only make sense to me that way.

Aristotle

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
Reston, VA
Yeah, as far as I can tell the typical set up is to have the actinic lights on first, then the normal daylights come on, then the normal daylights go off later in the evening, and finally the actinics go off at night. I assume this simulates sunrise to sunset (with the LED lights simulating the moon at night). But I would also assume you measure your watts per gallon by the maximum potential of the system (i.e. afternoon light).

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
That is the lighting I am using on a 55g reef. Now, this has only been running for a month with all the livestock transported from a 10g nano, which had 9.6 wpg. So far all is well although I was initially worried that my trachyphillia (sp) might not do good unless under metal halides. Anyway I see no reason why actinics don't count towards total lighting output.

Aristotle

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
Reston, VA
Thanks for the replies. You've confirmed what I thought to be true. Great!

I still need to decide if the fixture I've chosen is the right strength for what I want to do, or if I want to go with the considerably stronger 4x96w (2 actinic) fixture instead. Either way, I can do the math with more confidence now. :)

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
Your probably best getting the highest output you can afford. I've found that skimping just ends up costing me more in the long run. You'll eventually want something harder to keep and its best to realize this now. I was going to settle for 2 x 65 watt for my 25g, but knowing myself, I'd be better off with 2 x 96 watt, one blue, one 10000K white, so eventually I can keep something a little more challenging. MH would be nice,;) however maybe next time lol. The point is its best to think ahead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store