Walmart Fish!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stix87

Stix87
Jun 14, 2005
Tampa Florida
Hey everyone! I hear many bad things about walmarts fish stock and i have to say, i agree. But i also thought about something that im putting to use for my self. Im going to start buying my fish from walmart as often as i can. Although they are in bad conidtion. My silver dollars are doing great! they're really happy in their temp. 20g home. Im doing this b/c it gives those fish at walmart, in dirty diseased tanks a better shot. Ive become readily good at using medication and ive succesfully medicated ick and finnrot. I just bought a clown loach and im giving him a good home, a better home than walmart, far better. My sister bought a feedergoldfish from walmart 3 years ago at about .75-1'', its fins were mostly bitten apart and it was pretty weak, and now the goldfish is 4.5'' and has fully grown fins and it is one of the most pretty fish i have ever seen, its BRight gold with clear/silver finns, very unique colors for a common goldfish.

I read alot of post and many ppl that post on this forum seem very carrying and knowledgable. What im asking, is next time u think about getting a new fish. Try walmart, not because they are a good LFS, THEY SUCK!!!!!!! but b/c many ppl here could save those Tetras that are housed in with cichlids. Or help make a crowded tank of tinfold barbs, less crowded.

Many ppl say that they have thought about petitioning walmart not to sell fish anymore. Well in the meantime they should help the cause by helping the fish, saving them from stupid workers.

sky.eyes.woman

I'd rather be in Hockeytown!
Dec 6, 2004
Greenville, SC
Why do you want to spend your money supporting a store that doesn't know f*** all about fish and how to keep them? Or maybe they DO know and don't care as long as the money rolls in. Don't you realize by purchasing fish there, you will be encouraging them to restock even more fish? So many fish you can't save them all? The best way to stop them torturing and killing fish is to NOT buy them there. I won't. Never ever. I won't buy any pet-related product from that store. Maybe I would if they stopped selling fish and any live animals in every Wal-Mart store. Maybe.

FishFreak101

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
sky.eyes.woman i love fish and i think stix87 is doing a great job keep it going stix!:)

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Buying fish from a store that keeps them badley will encourage the store to keep selling more fish. For every fish you save many more die. The whole walmart thing is beaten to death on this forum. You can buy your fish from whereever you want but most peopel here will continue to buy from reputable places whenever possible.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
It's a noble idea but will only lead to more fish suffering. If you really want to help them out, work in the fish department, write a letter, or give the store manager a ring. Even if they don't listen, you'll have educated them. And they just might actually listen and clean up their act.

FYI, I really don't like using ich medication. I prefer the heat/salt treatment, IMVHO it gives the fish relief faster and doesn't expose them to unnessicary (sp?) chemicals. The only exceptions to this would be fish that could not handle the heat treatment (goldfish, white clouds, just about anything coldwater), IMO.

icka

AC Members
Jun 16, 2005
Indiana
actually there are many wal marts who do take good care of the fish, also if you go in and see something worng and then talk to a manager they will typically treat the problem, they need education too. I have had a quite a few fish from wal mart that have been wonderful. it just depends.

Stix87

Stix87
Jun 14, 2005
Tampa Florida
i didnt think of the other veiws, and its true, i was trying to do a good thing, and i still think its a good thing, but its doing more harm then good at the end.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
It's too bad the SPCA doesn't take in Fish. That would be a niceer place to rescue them from as they wouldn't be trying to make profit from the fish's misfortune.

Yo_Loach

AC Members
Nov 28, 2004
undisclosed
www.drunkduck.com
Wal-mart is a sorry place, I bought a pair of black neons from there. One was missing an eye, but now they are both happy and healthy, although I was worried about em.

What I did do, however, was I educated the old lady caring for the fish there about how to do it. lol. She was feeding cichlid fry about the size of these brackets () large flake food. when stuff like fry food was readily available. simple stuff like that, she seemed happy about it, I didnt have anything better to do though maybe she really didnt give a ****. lol. I just hung out there until my parents were done with the shopping.

Seriously though, I dont think walmart gives their employees any training at all concerning fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store