long tenticle anemone.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
Yesterday I finally found an anemone large enough for me to try with my maroon clowns.

History: I bought an anemone with my clown fish 3months into my set up (bad idea right :rolleyes: , live and learn) anyway it came with a female maroon and when I went looking for another clown to go in the tank around the same time I ended up buying another female (live and learn, again). The female I bought second took the anemone away from the first fish and I ended up returning the first fish the next morning (both were bought within 2days of each other, the lfs were involved cuz I was nervous of their fighting). The next week I bought a baby maroon clown who also liked the anemone but the female didn't want it to have anything to do with it, so they fought for a few days but it ended up working out and they slept in the anemone every night. Due to probably water quality, but I’m not ruling out my bristle worm bit its foot. The anemones health started to reside. I bought an internal refugium to put it in so it would be closer to the lights and so the clowns would leave it alone.

Maroons are very aggressive and they have been to the anemones I've kept. They won’t let it eat and they go in and out and in and out and flip their fins constantly ALL the time. This anemone ended up dying, it was pulled into a power head intake (I fed it three times a week, but it was getting beat up and it could have been the new set up tank, it wasn’t doing good a few days before it died, I bet it might have died and lost grip then went toward the filter, maybe not though).

Five months later I bought a rose bubble tip. Not knowing much on symptoms of bleaching, I may have bought one which was already in for it. He came from a FO lit tank. It was the largest one out of the other anemones in the tank but it was stuck to a rock and it took the worker 15mins to get him off. Can someone say STRESS, once it was in my tank it hid from the difference in lighting on the underside of a rock in the shade. Since it was trying to stay away from the lights it wasn't fully open. But both of my clowns didn't care and they were in and out and in and out and in and out and this anemone was going down hill instantly from the change in bulbs FO to 135watt PCs, I was having a very hard time trying to feed it in the position it put itself. '

I had a problem with my tank and sand sifters and I had to take everything out to clean my sand. The anemone which wasn't doing great stayed that way during the hectic cleaning, I removed it and placed him a 10gallon with my 135PCs on it, hoping it would come back to health without the clowns to get it when it’s weak. That didn't happen though, the anemone died.

So... my tank has been set up for a year and a half this month and I found another beautiful long tentacle anemone, large enough to house both of my clowns. The first long tentacle was large enough for the female the rose was big enough for maybe the male, not both... they were loving both to death.

This long tentacle is huge, restated GIGANTIC... I'll post pictures up today. It’s in a 29 gallon tank but I have a 65gallon in my kitchen waiting to be finished. I replaced the PC bulbs last night to dual 10000K rather than the 50/50 ones. I have silversides and frozen krill...

maxilaria: any advice on this one?

this tank does not have a skimmer, I just run carbon in a HOB and canister filter and there are 3 maxi jet 600's. The tank I'm setting up has a Euro Reef ES5-3 Skimmer, and will have two 250 watt SE metal halide bulbs and dual 96watt VHO attnics.

jloventh

AC Members
Dec 2, 2003
SF Bay Area
Visit site
Similar Problems

I have had several anemones over the years I have two (paired) maroon clowns like yours. They also thrash the hell out of the anenome. However a hardy anenome with good water conditions should be fine. They aren't trying to kill it they are just "in love". I found that my large tank (200 gal) kept anemones much better than 30 gal tanks. You must have perfect water conditions for them to remain in great health. I have a similar problem right now with one of my rose anenomes that has attached to the underside of a rock making it hard for me to feed him. I syringe Phyloplankton back in the hole and hope he is getting some. If your tanks was bigger I would suggest introducing a few more anenomes that way the clowns would go back and forth between the anenomes. Good Luck.

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
thanks for your imput. the anemone stayed out in the open for 2 days and has slowly moved under an overhang so most of it gets indirect light. i think it might be getting use to it. it only ate one thawed out frozen krill since i bought him in wednesday. he wont hold onto anything long enough to pull it in. I've tried krill/sliversides everyday since hes been here. any advice? I'm running alot of carbon, did a 5gallon water change with my RO/DI system the day I brought him home (Before introduced) and I have another 5gallons ready right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store