Need advice with Pictus Catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ozalie

AC Members
Aug 31, 2002
Minnesota
need advice with Pitus Catfish

I have 4 pitus cats in a 125g tank that I need to take out.They are 5"each and right now are with my cichlids.I want to put them in my 55g. The problem is , the first time I had to net them one got his pectoral fin caught in the net,which required cutting the net off him,so I bought a fine net. Well this happened again the second time,I had to net. I then used a glass for the rest.
So everybody , whats the best approach to this?
I learned not to use a net(at least no deaths in the learning process!) ,but hate to use cups ect. because these fish are fast ! If I remember right it took a afternoon to catch them and I had alot of stressed out fish!! Any one have a better idea ??
thanks in advance.

Hypancistrus-zebra

Mar 17, 2002
UK
www.thefishtank.cjb.net
Hmm yeh they are little ****s :( i had to use a net, but you do it in a way that more then likly it wont snag in the net. Not always tho, sometimes it does. I would say catch it with your hand, but unless your good at doing that, your going to injore yourself on the gill plates, and the fish.

What about a fish trap? Get a hold of a clear glass or plastic, and make a box (it needs to sink). Then make a trap door, easily done with you holding the door with a tiny bit of line. Put some food in the trap, and cross fingers there dumb.

Maybe an idea, to put the trap in, leave it for a few days, then keep putting the food in their. So in about a week, or longer if their not still confident with the trap, go for it ;)

Ozalie

AC Members
Aug 31, 2002
Minnesota
Good idea!
So next question , ever made a sinking trap for your fish? If you have let me know how to make one.

Twilight

AC Members
Sep 9, 2002
Born in the USA
Chase them into a plastic container.....then lift the container inc. water and fish out of tank. Some pet stores use a plastic container attached to a handle.

Ozalie

AC Members
Aug 31, 2002
Minnesota
thanks for all the great idea's !:D i'll let you know how it goes....

Hypancistrus-zebra

Mar 17, 2002
UK
www.thefishtank.cjb.net
I havn't, but I have seen them on the market, when we got a few items in from belgium. Theres many ways to make them, its just a case of, what do you have to work with?

Heat strip? That would make an easy plastic box, melting the edges enough to bend at 90 degrees.

Glass and silicone is another idea.

The box is on its side, see how I made hindges so that a small pane of glass can slide up and down it? Simply have a piece of glass with a tiny bit of line to it, so your holding it up, and let it down when your little guys are inside.

Ozalie

AC Members
Aug 31, 2002
Minnesota
thanks for the idea I'll give it a shot!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store