Glass catfish behavior... re-post from catfish forum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

marlihen

Yes, that's me.
Jul 16, 2005
Massachusetts
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum, but not new to fishkeeping. Here is my question, and I do hope that someone will have an answer for this: I have three glass cats (yes, I know there should be five or more, and there WAS; a couple died and I haven't seen them at my LFS since, and so it goes. They are doing GREAT, by the way). Two of them tend to swim together, as in attached. Ok, here is what I mean: when I feed them they all swim around and eat and after a time these two start to swim next to each other, one holding onto the other with its' mouth, on the lower edge of the others' torso. They don't seem to be hurting each other, in fact, when the one hanging on lets go the other slows down and waits for him/her to reattach! Never have I seen anything like this! It's quite funny to watch. For general info, I have had these cats for over a year, but I only observed them behaving this way for the last 3 days. And trying to find info on glass cats mating behavior is impossible, so I can't even be sure if that is what they are doing. (I also understand that mating glass cats in aquaria is next to impossible, as is mating Kuhli Loaches, but the loaches managed it all on their own with no help from me, so who knows??)
Any thoughts? Thanks for the look!
Smiles, marli

Calico Goat

AC Members
Jun 5, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Dunno. I've seven glass cats, and in my humble opinion, they are just weird fish in general. Maybe they're plying, or it's some weird mating dance...hey, if you have achieved that, I consider you lucky...and myself quite jealous> :D

marlihen

Yes, that's me.
Jul 16, 2005
Massachusetts
That is too funny...

Yes, all of my fish have names...
...because my fish all have names too!! Most people think I am crazy, it's nice to know I am not alone in my madness.
Smiles, marli

Mar 24, 2005
Canada
I tried naming my fish but some of the just look a little too similar when you have a bunch of the same kind of fish in a tank.

Anyways based on my general knowledge of animals, it sounds like a mating dance. I couldn't tell you for sure though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store