Brackish Water Kills Plecos!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Balloonhead

AC Members
Jul 4, 2005
I can't BELIEVE that some of you are putting plecos into brackish water tanks!! Do you want to kill your plecos?? Because that's where you are headed. Now I will admit to knowing almost nothing about brackish tanks (I am here to learn), but I know A LOT about plecos. I breed them. Plecos are VERY sensitive to salt and should only be salted (very slightly!!) when the are sick. Permanent exposure to salty brackish water will most definately kill your plecos, especially the more sensitive breeds. The few who do survive will not thrive, and will be miserable. Do you want to do this to a living creature.... a gentle pleco??

PLEASE do not put your plecos in brackish tanks!! It is very irresponsible.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
Balloonhead said:
I can't BELIEVE that some of you are putting plecos into brackish water tanks!! Do you want to kill your plecos?? Because that's where you are headed. Now I will admit to knowing almost nothing about brackish tanks (I am here to learn), but I know A LOT about plecos. I breed them. Plecos are VERY sensitive to salt and should only be salted (very slightly!!) when the are sick. Permanent exposure to salty brackish water will most definately kill your plecos, especially the more sensitive breeds. The few who do survive will not thrive, and will be miserable. Do you want to do this to a living creature.... a gentle pleco??

PLEASE do not put your plecos in brackish tanks!! It is very irresponsible.

Why would you keep a soft to neutral water catfish in hard alkaline water anyways? What were you smoking? :rolleyes:

Balloonhead

AC Members
Jul 4, 2005
I had read posts written by several brackish newbies who said they had plecos in their newly set up brackish tanks. I just thought people should know NOT to do this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store