Penguin Biowheel filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
I just set up my new 20gal, and installed the Penguin HOB filter that came with it. Don't know that I'm completely happy with it since it makes so much splashing noise! Any one else experience this? Can the noise be lessened, or is it just something I have to get used to? I can't raise the water level much higher without risking displacing water onto the floor everytime I work in the tank.

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
:duh: Now, that would kind of defeat the purpose, wouldn't it? If I were to do that, then I'd take it back and exchange for an Aquaclear so that I could at least customize my media! :D

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
I'd just raise the water level. Don't stick your arm in there.

MidnightPyro

AC Members
Jun 21, 2005
I own a Penguin Biowheel 125. Filling up the water as high as it'll go helps a lot. My splashing noise is very little, the splashing it makes now doesn't really bother me much at all.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
mishi8 said:
:duh: Now, that would kind of defeat the purpose, wouldn't it? If I were to do that, then I'd take it back and exchange for an Aquaclear so that I could at least customize my media! :D

penguins are better filters than ACs, at least in my opinion. Always restart, dont leak, and run quieter (as long as you dont use the biowheels)

JinxXx0085

AC Members
Jun 12, 2005
Montana
slipknottin said:
Just dont use the biowheel.
Umm.. what might be wrong with the biowheel? :huh:
I thought that the wheel is a nice bonus to have...

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
slipknottin said:
penguins are better filters than ACs, at least in my opinion. Always restart, dont leak, and run quieter (as long as you dont use the biowheels)
Do you use penguin filters? The point about always restarting is a good one. My AC doesn't always start up easily...takes a good priming after a water change...and sometimes the impellor needs a kick start. I was actually surprised when my filter started on its own after an overnight power outage. I find it to be an exceptionally quiet filter though. Maybe because it's just an AC 20 on a 10 gal tank. :)

I'm going to leave the biowheel going for now. Maybe I can get past the noise if I just think of it as the sound of a "soothing waterfall." LOL :p:

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
mishi8 said:
Do you use penguin filters?
Yup, I use mostly penguins, I do use one AC 300 though, that I dont really like. I even have a couple old blue colored penguins that still work fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store