Setting up Reef Tank - Questions/Concerns

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dolfans1

I'm a victim of coicumstance!
Jun 15, 2005
Safety Harbor, FL
After having a FW tank forever (>30 years), I am making the transition to a SW reef tank. I've been doing a lot of reading the last month, and luckily I discovered this website. The posters here are very knowledgable and helpful, and the discussions have helped me decide on several aspects of my tank.

I purchased the tank and much of the equipment ~2 weeks ago. This is what I have so far:

Tank: 120 g dual Mega-flow (48x24x24)
Sump: 20 g Berlin
Pump: Blueline 70 (rated @ 1400 g/h)
Skimmer: Euro-Reef CS series
Heaters: 2 x 300 W
No lights as of yet (more on that later)

Over July 4 weekend, I setup the tank and all the plumbing. I split the pump's output into 4 returns. I filled the tank w/ FW on July 2/3, and fired up the pump on the 3rd. To my amazement, there was not a single leak or drip. I let the pump circulate w/ FW for a day to ensure no leaks, and added salt on July 4th. My SG = 1.022, and everything looks good.

After listening to the pump for 2 nights, I realized that the pump was just too loud for its environment (in the family room next to the entertainment center, with my bedroom on the other side of the wall). More disturbing, the tank was running at 84F, while my A/C is set at 75F. I ended up moving the pump from inside the cabinet to outside to improve airflow (which ironically also quieted the pump some), and ended up taking off the styrofoam boards I had sitting on top of the tank to prevent evaporation and bad things from falling in the tank (I am in the process of building a canopy). These things helped a bit - my tank has been running at 80F. This is still 5F above room temperature, and I haven't added any lights yet. The LFS recommends me switching to 2 smaller Blueline 30 pumps (590 g/h each) to replace the pump I have. My questions are:

Has anyone experienced this kind of heating from just a pump?
Will running 2 smaller pumps be cooler than 1 large pump?
Does anyone have experience with Blueline 30 pumps, and are they quiet?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Also, if anyone would be interested in me keeping a "diary" on here as I get things set up, let me know.

Lastly, I have a really neat setup (I think) where I plumbed my RO/DI water line through the attic and down the wall behind my tank. The line then connects with a float valve in the sump, and the RO/DI water system itself has a pressure-activated automatic shutoff. I should never have to top off the water myself, and so far the system is working great. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll post how I did it w/ pictures.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I guess I'm not clear--are the heaters installed and running as well? If so, it's possible that they are set incorrectly--I had a digital heater that had to be adjusted, straight out of the box, to be accurate, and of course, if the heaters were plugged in immediately, they can be inaccurate.

I haven't had any problems with pumps producing too much heater, but I run mine internally and have mag-drives. I doubt that 2 smaller ones would produce less heat than one larger one, unless there's a huge difference in performance.

Might also want to bump the SG up to about 1.025--closer to natural sea water, and better for a reef. How are you cycling?

And--I encourage you to post in the DIY forum how you set up your auto-topoff!

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I'd love to see a diary thread, and I'm sure many others would as well. I started one for my nano reef, it's really helpful to be able to look back and see what was happening a few weeks ago and know that I'm making progress. Pictures are great too, show us what you've got! :D

dolfans1

Jun 15, 2005
Safety Harbor, FL
Hi OG,

To answer your question - while I do have the heaters in the sump they are not plugged in, so the only source of heat is from the external pump. I even shut off the skimmer to make sure its own internal pump wasn't putting out the heat. I haven't even started cycling yet (I want to get the pump/plumbing squared away before I put anything besides water in). If I shut the pump off overnight, the water temp will drop down to ~76F, turning the pump back on will slowly raise the temperature to about 80.

I will probably have to add a chiller once I install the MH lights, but I don't like the idea of my pump alone adding 5 degrees to the water temp. I will probably end up going with the 2 smaller pumps, if for no other reason than they are reputed to be significantly quieter - I am hoping cooler too.

Also, I will post a thread in the DIY section on the water-topper-offer.

Thanks for the input. I'll add a bit more salt too to bring the SG up.

I'll also start a diary once I get the pump issue resolved.

:huh:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Hmmm...That just doesn't sound right to me. The pumps should NOT be putting off that much heat--and I can assure you, other brands do not. I would try another brand before going to 2 smaller units of the same brand. Magdrives can be run internally, are quiet (I hear more water movement than pump sounds, and I have 2 big magdrives + a bunch of powerheads).

dolfans1

Jun 15, 2005
Safety Harbor, FL
Swapped out pump

Thanks OG. I've installed 2 Mag-Drive 700 pumps. They are much quieter than the Blueline 70, but not nearly as powerful I've noticed. Although the 2 Mag-Drives together are rated at the same amount as my 1 Blueline, I'm estimating that the total flow is actually about 1/3. The Blueline was too powerful for a 120 g tank - probably better suited for 200 - 300 g. I'll install a powerhead or 2 to increase circulation.

I will be very interested to see what my water temp will be tomorrow.

XSeaNX

Giggity-Giggity-Gig-a-ty
May 21, 2005
I would really love to see a diary on your new tank experience. As someone whos going to be switching over to SW (Not switching for a little bit) I LOVE reading anything I can get my hands on. Im actually just finally making some final decisions on what I plan on doing. Anyway pictures are a must :D

Also if the flow isnt good enough just add one or 2 more PHs to the system if for nothing else, just for water flow and most corals would enjoy the extra flow anyway.

Im not sure what to tell you about the heat issue, esp if there are no lights hooked up :huh: however as far as noise is concerned (and assuming your stand is completely sealed) I used dynamat thats made for cars as a sound deadening insulator in one of my stands when I had the 125gallon in my entertainment room (couldnt stand the noise when watching a movie) and it worked pretty well in my case...it wasnt completely silent but it was a lot quieter.

Goodluck,
Sean

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I am using both blue line and mag drive pumps on my tank, and you are right about both the noise and the power. Mag drives have significantly more loss of flow with height, so what starts out the same is quickly reduced with a few twists and turns. Plus, according to the ratings I've seen, the output of the MD70 is actually 1750 gph at 0 head.

I also noticed that you were using a pressure rated pump for generating flow. The rule of thumb I use is to use a "circulation rated" pump (designated by the "X" in blue line pumps) for returns and closed loops. If you had a lot of head, like running from a basement sump or running a skimmer, then go for a pressure rated pump (designated by "R"). Basically, it saves you electricity and heat.

Still, I find it very hard to believe the pump is heating the water so much. External pumps are normally recommended when heat is a problem, because there is generally little heat transfer between the motor and the water.

If I ever figure out how to quiet my blue line pump, I will post it in big, bold letters.

Your top off sounds like a great idea. Because things happen, be certain the float switch will be closed if the system fails.

Last edited:

dolfans1

Jun 15, 2005
Safety Harbor, FL
Pump Update

I have swapped out the Blueline for the 2 Mag-Drive 7s. I've also installed 2 Penguin PHs to compensate for the reduced flow of the MG pumps. With the 4 pumps running, I am back up to the original temp I had with the Blueline - about 80F. The 2 Mag-Drives had raised the temp to about 77 (from 75), and the 2 Penguins raised it another 3 degrees. Since I'm going to be installing MH lights, I've pretty much resigned myself to getting a chiller. (Any suggestions for brands?). The system is MUCH quieter though, and I can watch TV without having to raise the volume and sleep at night without it sounding like a dishwasher running next to me.

One comment you made Dave is very true: The top-off water system should be monitored and checked periodically. I had been working in the sump arranging the skimmer, and I must had bumped the float valve, because somehow the hinge had come off. I only noticed it because I was in the garage and heard the RO/DI system running. Luckily I caught it in time. It has been running now for 2 weeks w/o incident.

I plan on starting the reef diary here once I get the live rock - possiblt next Saturday. I am still working on finishing the canpoy - the cooling fans need to be installed, and the whole thing needs to be stained to match the base. When I am finished, if I'm not too embarrased by the quality, I'll post a picture.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store