Are My Angel's Tail Nippers?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
I have 55 tank (Surprise - surprise!) and I have a wonderful variety of fish. I have many types of loaches, Plego, neons, guppies, tetras, and I just added two angel fish.

Suddenly, many of my fish with long tails are having them eaten off. I have lost one tetra already and I have thee male guppies who are now nearly tailess as well as several other individuals.

Are Angels known to be tail nippers? It seems to me that I have heard that and it seems logical since these are the last two fish that I've added.

Any suggesstions? I love the angels, but I don't want them at the expense of losing all my other fish. Will a divider work? Do any of you use them?

I'm all ears!

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Hi there! You should post this question in the general section You'll get better responses, this is more for non-fish stuff :) When you do, also list what your amonia, nitrite and nitrate readings are, as well as how long the tank has bee set up

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Actually, Angels are cichlids and I would think being so, the question might be better off here since the behaviors can be very different. But either way would work I guess... ok, how big are the Angels that were added? Exactly how many other fish do you have and what kind? Angels typically do better in groups of 3 for a 55 gallon, eventually pairing off, separating them at maturity is sometimes best. In my experience, I've never had a problem with my angels being fin nippers but stranger things have happened. What are your readings on the tank as far as ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

Kosmik

AC Members
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
community.webshots.com
Have you actually seen them attack the other fish? Do the fins look like they have bites taken out of them, or do they look split ragged?

Its been my experience that sometimes when adding new fish you might cause a mini cycle in the tank especially depending on how full you tank is. And that little cycle can cause the fish to start stressing due to the ammonia or nitrite build up, and when they stress they become very easy target for bacteria that eat away at the fins.

posting Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates could help determine what the problem could be.

starter_flo

starter and finisher
Jul 21, 2005
Mission. BC. Canada
cichlids

i need to know if convict cichlid eggs are fertilized when they look like pepper and are brown

davesanchez

exoticfishfactory.com
It is not your Angels. However Serpae Tetra's are fin nippers and depending on what species of Killie fish they can be very nippy as well. Angels will only get aggresive when breeding.

Kosmik

AC Members
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
community.webshots.com
Were you talking to me davesanchez? Because I'm not having any problems with my fish's fins being nipped?

I'm guessing JonWesley's problem is more fin rot related than nipping related.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store