Warm Water Pleco

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
I'd like to add a pleco to my discus tank (125g, kept at 82F), but am not sure which species would be best suited to that water temperature. Any suggestions from those with experience in this area (or from those who have simply made a more thorough study of the source material than I have) would be welcome.

Barbie

Fishaholic
Hi Harry,

82 really isn't all that warm, I keep all of my plecos between 80 and 84, so you shouldn't have any trouble at 82. Are you looking for a janitor? Or more of a show fish? Do you modify your pH? I've kept zebras, gold nuggets, albino bristlenose, and quite a few other types of plecos successfully with discus, even though I "hear" it can be a huge problem with the plecos feeding on the discus, I never experienced any problems at all personally.

Hope that helps.

Barbie

clayt101

Registered Abuser
I agree, 82*F is not that warm. I too, would be more concerned about the plecos feeding off of the slime coat on the discus.

Cartman

Registered Member
Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Harry, what's the tank decor like? Is this a Sterile barebottomed tank or are there driftwood and plants and hidding places in this tank? Personally i think something from the family Callichthyidae
would be better suited in a discus tank. That beign said, I know plenty who have had success keeping Hypancistrus and other smaller species plecos in with their discus. Really I think you don't want to put in too large of pleco as they tend to produce a lot of waste and could pose a threat to your discus due to higher nitrAte levels besides the sucking onto side risk. But if you feel you can handle the extra water changes needed to ensure proper H2O quality then I'd say any of the vegetarians could be a decent addition. have you ever thought about going away from "traditional plecos" and trying a whiptail (sturisoma, hemiloricaria, etc.)? Most will happily scoop up any live food the discus may miss and could also be kept w/ a shoal of Corys. Just a thought.

Andy

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
Tank is a 125g that contains: two discus, eight cardinal tetras, six Corydoras julii, four Nanochromis transvestitus, and an SAE. Decor includes LOTS of driftwood, with some anubias and java fern (relatively low lighting is provided by two 30W bulbs). I am not worried so much about the waste levels (water changes 40% 2x per week) as I am about sensitivity to higher temperatures (for example, the N. transvestitus don't do well at all above 82F). If Royal Plecos, Mango/magnum plecos, and Gold Nugget Plecos will all do OK in this water, I have spares in other tanks that will appreciate the extra room. But since I maintain most tanks at 78F or lower, I didn't want to make the switch without checking first. Might check out the Sturisoma and Hemiloricaria too first, however.

Lynsey

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Get a Sunshine or Goldie Pleco (L-14). I have one, and I just love him. They like warmer waters, and do great with discus. When I bought mine at 8" he was in the tank with two other L-14s that were 12" (max size) and a few small (2") discus. They all seemed very healthy and happy. They are featured as one of the catfish of the month on www.planetcatfish.com

clayt101

Registered Abuser
Originally posted by Lynsey
Get a Sunshine or Goldie Pleco (L-14). I have one, and I just love him.
I think that is just about my favorite pleco. I have never had one, but I think it is probably the best looking:)

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
You could try a peckoltia sp. They all stay pretty small and are good eaters. Cartman, when you said callichthyidae, do you mean just cories or callichthys themselves? I was curious as to whether or not the callichthys actually eat algae. I always thought they were just good bottom feeders.

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Hypansistrus are warm water smallish pl*cos (lorys).
Hypansistrus Zebra very expensive very dramatic
Hypansistrus Inspector pretty cool, more affordable.
They are not great algae eaters stay under 6inches love temps 80F or over.
good luck
:)

Cartman

Registered Member
Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
82 would be fine w/ most Loricariids so I think the Royal and Mango's would both be fine assuming you acclimate them to the new temp and PH slowly.

About the Scobinancistus Aureatus...being from the Xingu makes them an almost ideal candidate w/ regards to water conditions for housing w/ Discus or Wild Angels but I still would lean towards a smaller species pleco or a whiptail w/ Discus especially if we're talking wild Tefe's or Heckles.

VC - No, I can not think of any algae eating Callichthyidae either, but Harry was not asking for about an Algae eater, he was questioning about pleco's many of which are not algae eaters either.

Fanman - you like Hypancistrus, I suggest L150 & LDA19 if you're into the exotic lil' guys, otherwise my personal favorite L260.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store