Laptop Confusion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
What is the 'best, basic, most reliable' laptop computer going these days? I'm leaning towards a Dell. There's no time to "build" one...

Need help...
This will be a "back-up computer" and needs to be very stable with a router. 512 ram...

Is it worth paying extra for Windows XP Pro, or is Home Edtion ok.....?

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
Well, I can tell you what not to buy. We got our daughter a Hewlett PAckard through Best Buy and have not been happy at all with it's performance.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Thanks -- that does help!

I'm leaning towards a Dell.

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
I got a Compaq (HP) through Best Buy, love it, no probs. I've got aPresario R3000 Nursie, what have you got?

Last edited:

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
The IT person at work won't buy from Best Buy any more. She orders Dell stuff for her personal use at home, so you are probably on the right track.

MacDoc

I did WHAT???
Jun 23, 2005
Champaign Illinois
I recently bought a HP/Compaq NX9030 and It's been a great machine. One major advantage of a Dell,though, is their accidental damage warranty (optional add-on). The downside to a Dell...They never seem to sell for the advertised prices after adding everything they don't come with. As for the XP pro, I believe that the Pro version works better with regard to networking (My co-workers think I'm nuts). Of course being an Apple technician, I would say an iBook kicks booty also. :pc:

Kasakato

SatCan
Sep 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Get a Sony or Thinkpad by IBM. IME they are the best of the best. Dells are iffy. Sometimes they work, sometimes the are a complete failer. And plus there coustmor support sucks.
(Totaly cant spell this monring.)

Win XP Home and Pro are almost the same thing. Pro just has:
Remote Desktop
Offline Files and Folders
Internet Information Services (IIS) version 5.1
Scalable processor support
Access Control
Encrypting File System
Centralized administration
Software Installation and Maintenance
Group Policy
Roaming User Profiles
Remote Installation Service (RIS)
Multi-lingual User Interface (MUI) add-on
See here for it: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

Walrus

Beatles fanatic
Jan 4, 2002
Missouri
Joe, if you do end up going with a Dell check out this link for a good deal. Its $750 off Inspiron laptops of $1499 or more. I dont know when the deal ends though so you might have to act fast!

StacieA

AC Members
Jul 10, 2005
Washington, DC
I have a Toshiba Satellite and I'm very happy with it. I asked all the IT helpdesk people I know it was unanamously (sp????) recommended by all. It also comes in all prices ranges so there's one for every budget.

WiFi was dead easy to set up even for a moron like myself. I have XP home on it but tbh I can't tell the difference from XP Professional on my PC! :p

Elmo

AC Members
Dec 8, 2001
London, Ontario
You can find some pretty good deals on dells in the form of coupon codes. But in terms of reliability and overall build quality I would say the Thinkpad line is the way to go. Personally I have and Acer Travelmate 8103 and I love it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store