When can you tell a female guppy is about to deliver ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I have never kept guppies never mind breeding them....I've done betta and blue rams with great success...but don't know a thing about live bearers.....

I have a half black female that has been looking like she's about to pop for days now, but nothing happens. She has a large belly...a dark spot by her vent...but doesn't seem interested in letting them go...I have been reading that you don't want to put her in a brooder net/tank until she's just about ready to have them, otherwise she could get all stressed out and die.

What signs should I look for in her that will tell me she may be getting ready and I should seperate her ? I don't want to loose her or the fry if I can help it. She and the male match the decor in this tank perfectly....lol....and I want more ! :sim:

Here's a pic of her...maybe that will help !

Last edited:

WinterWind

Mad pianist
Feb 11, 2005
Could it be possible she just has eggs but is not pregnant?

I don't know if they can get that fat with only eggs though.

neon7

neon7
Jul 23, 2005
bentonville,ar.
the black spot on her underbellie will get darker and as she gets closer to delivery if you look real close at the spot you can actually see the babies.should have 10-25.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Thanks folks....the spot is pretty dark and I've been trying to see if I can see anything in there...lol....but she doesn't stop ! Guess I'll just have to keep a close eye on her and hope I catch her in the act so I can rescue the babies. She and dad are show quality guppies that I found in an lfs recently. Beautiful coloring on both of them.....all I have in that tank are 1 male and 2 female guppies...and 3 panda cories.

FishFreak101

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Well u dont really need to no just leave her alone and if u see lost of baby fry and then no fry the next she ate them!

icka

AC Members
Jun 16, 2005
Indiana
mine was the same way, then i took a shower and came out, there were babies... most females will stop eating when they are real close or they will eat LOTS more, so keep an eye on feeding, also mine tended to hang out in a hidden spot when they were ready...

neon7

neon7
Jul 23, 2005
bentonville,ar.
no more fish than you have in the tank. if it is well planted in no time at all you will have more guppies than you can stand with no intervension on your part just sit back and enjoy!

fishyman45

AC Members
Jul 3, 2005
i have a pregnant guppy. the sign that she'll drop in the week is her vent, from the side, taht aread will kinda come to an edge. lookin like the fry are bunchin up ready to get out. :dive2:

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Thanks folks !

Lol...I realize that guppies are prolific breeders...but these are extra fancy guppies, not the regular lfs type..though I did pick them up in an lfs but they were more expensive than the regular type....8$ a pair... They're half black pastels and the male is quite flashy with black body and silky white flowing fins. I have some pics of him on other threads.

I just want to make sure I catch the fry before any of the fish in that tank do..lol...I would like some more for this particular tank....and I have to give this pair back to may daughter after they do thier thing...lol...I "borrowed" them from her tank..she did give me permission...lol...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store