dwarf pleco?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lethalp

AC Members
Jan 1, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
Can anyone tell me the "official" name for the dwarf pleco? I need more info on him and he isn't in any of my books? Also has anyone heard of the pleco from Lake Tanganika, the cuckoo pleco? And is it rare? Thank you

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
There are no plecs from Tanganyika. The family Loricariidae is South American.

If by "cuckoo plec" you mean this:
, then it's not a plec, it's a Synodontis.

I've not heard of a "dwarf pleco" either. Loads of species of plec stay small, so it could be almost anything.

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Check PlanetCatfish for the dwarf pleco. Only fish I've seen labelled this were types of otocinclus.

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Of course, knowing what some shops are like, I wonder if they're just small plecs labelled as dwarfs to sell them to people with small tanks....

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
There are several commonly sold as "dwarf pleco". There is the Clown, the Rubber Nose, the Hillstream Loach (Borneo Sucker), and the Oto. These are just the ones that come to mind. Try looking up some of these. As Faramir said some places do sell baby reg plec's as dwarfs, although I rarely see it here in CO.

Dwarfnut

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Colorado Springs, CO
Visit site
IME, the term "dwarf pleco" covers quite an assortment of different animals, but most of them are the true "pleco" types. These include the Bristlenose, the Bushy Nose, Clown, and many more plecos that only get to a max. length of approx. 5-6" I have only tried the Bristlenose and really like them as they do a much better job of cleanng up algae than the 'normal' plecs!

Good luck,
Bill C.

lethalp

AC Members
Jan 1, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
more plec and non plec info

I have what was sold to me as a dwarf pleco. he is a light brown color and hardly ever comes out during the day. He does come out at night of course :) Now then I also bought what I believe Mono called a Borneo sucker and I can't find anything on him. Anyone know anything about that one?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store