Help my fish are dying!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jacqueline2215

Bo and Sushi's Mommy
Jul 24, 2005
New Jersey
I honestly don't know what to do anymore. I went through 20 fish my first month with a variety of water conditioning problems. I finally got the tanks stabilized and now my betta has fin rot pretty bad and my two gold gouramis and my cory catfish have ich. I quarantined my betta alone and cleaned one tank to quarantine the other three alone but now my catfish is dying. Is this due to the ich medicine? Anything I can do....should I quarantine him alone? I think he has ich...he was light green but now very dark and almost black. Any advice?

jacqueline2215

Bo and Sushi's Mommy
Jul 24, 2005
New Jersey
I did cycling and I have had the tank up for awhile. The other fish were a mixture. Plecos,angelfish,gouramis,snails,bala shark. I have a test for nitrites and one for ammonia. I just cleaned the one tank to quarantine my 2 gouramis and cory. My cory isn't breathing but his eyes are still moving and i feel horrible. I was told I could use my ich stuff on my cory but I have read in other places that you can't use it on scaless fish. Did I kill him? My quarantined tank is 5 gallons.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
If he is still alive, do some water changes(30%) daily until he pulls through.

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
how big is the main tank you keep the fish in? also, don't bother with quarantine if you have ich, the whole tank will need to be treated. The salt method is the best, and least stressful ich treatment, read the links posted and try that. Also, don't buy anymore fish until all of the problems are taken care of and have been good for at least a month

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
jacqueline2215 said:
...a variety of water conditioning problems. I finally got the tanks stabilized
One last question, what exactly do you mean by that? were you adjusting the ph? Temp? Had high amonia?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Just be aware that corys don't tolorate salt very well. I've had very good luck with using 'Quickcure' on Corys, loaches and tetras.

starter_flo

starter and finisher
Jul 21, 2005
Mission. BC. Canada
stop killing fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store