Power Head question for new UV Filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

S. American

AC Members
Jan 3, 2003
Visit site
I purchased a new UV sterilizer for my 125 to control algae and parasites. The type of UV sterilizer is the Double Helix 9 watt system and is rated for up to 150 gal tanks. When I bought the kit I purchased the Aquaclear 201 power head. The power head was too weak to pump the water through it because the sterilizer is mounted under the tank, inside the stand and there is quite a bit of tubing. So I purchased a big 802 and now water is flowing through and it

My question is, when I used the recommended powerhead flow 201 @ 125gph (vs the 802 at 400gph), the powerhead could not push all the air out of the system or maintain any type of water flow. There was absolutely no flow through the uv system.

Now with the bigger one I know that water is flowing, but I don't know how fast. I find the ratings on most powerheads to be overrated/false. But the 802 is rated at 400gph and the uv unit states the rate should be between 100-200gph. Have I over done it? Or is there a way to slow the 802 down?

I am tempted to return the 802 because it is too big, but even this big power head took a while to take all the air our of system. So I have my doubts.

Thanks for the advice.:confused:

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002

S. American

AC Members
Jan 3, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for the response 80gJoe. I notice on your site you also have a uv sterilizer, which powerhead (if any) are you using? I'll try that method on the link. I just hope the water isn't pumping quickly through the filter too fast.

Thanks again

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by S. American
....I notice on your site you also have a uv sterilizer, which powerhead (if any) are you using? .Thanks again
If there's too much flow thru the UV, it will not work effectively. My UV sterilizer is connected 'inline' with my canister filter (XP-3). The clean water outlet side has the UV inline. By having the UV on the outlet side of the canister, there will be much less chance for any build-up of debris on the inside of the UV sterilizer. The XP-3 Filstar canister has an adjustable flow, my Fluval 404 doesn't.
In this picture, the UV sterilizer is on the far left (black tube), hooked into the Filstar XP-3 canister. I've had no 'bubbling' problem... No leaks..

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
just curoius 80GJOE what kind of UV sterilizer are you using?

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by Tightdog1
just curoius 80GJOE what kind of UV sterilizer are you using?
It's Custom Sealife's Double Helix 18watt UV....
You can link to it from my Tank Specs... :)
Here's a picture:

S. American

AC Members
Jan 3, 2003
Visit site
Thanks 80gJoe, I checked the owner's guide (duh) and the flow was too high on the 802. I now have a 402 powerhead and have it set at the lowest setting. Everything seems ok now.

I do have one question for you. I noticed we have the same type of sterilizer (double helix brand), however yours is 18 watts. Are the bulbs interchangeable? The one I have is a 9 watt bulb and I am curious if you have to replace the bulb with the same rating or can it be increased?

Thanks again

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store