Need Health Advice From Any Reptile Keepers!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Riso-chan

The Blue Girl
Jan 17, 2005
Florida, USA
Hey, this is directed at anyone familiar with keeping reptiles, specifically geckos. I had to take out my leopard gecko tonight and help get some unshed skin off her toes, when I noticed she has something in her eye that she can't lick off. From what I've read, it could be a bacterial infection in the eye caused by either dust from the substrate (fine calcium based sand) or something else. I'm going to call the vet in the morning to see if there's anything I can do to help her get her eyes clear, and find out what caused it.

I don't have a humid-hide for her in her tank, it's likely that that's why she has such a hard time getting all the skin off her toes. What's the best way to make one? and how do I take care of it, as far as preventing mold, and keeping it moist enough?

I know Harlock keeps snakes, but I'm not familiar with what else he might know, so your welcome to give any insights that you think might help. ~Angela

Mar 24, 2005
Canada
Calling the vet is a good idea. As for the humid thing, I've never kept leopard geckos and although I feel I should still know a lot about them, I don't. But an idea that comes to mind is buy (or make if you have the skill and materials) a little cave out of plastic that also has a plastic bottom. So pretty much a completely plastic thing with just one hole in it. Then get a damp sponge and put it inside. Be careful to check it though to make sure your gecko doesn't nibble on it. Then to control mold and that just make sure you wash the sponge well fairly regularily and clean the cave out really well.

Another thing to help with shedding that is recommended for chameleons is to submit them to a shower every now and then. Which you pretty much take them to a special cage that will keep humidity well and use a bucket with little holes in the bottom to make it seem like it's raining. I've never tried it (it's a lot of work and my chameleon has never had shedding problems) but it sounds like it might work. What I have done before is put a plastic mat down and then used the bucket idea in the chameleons regular cage. I'm not sure how all this would work for a leopard gecko because if my memory serves me well they aren't from a heavy rain area.

Another thing you could try is wrapping your lizard in a warm damp towel when it's shedding time to help with the shedding. Just make sure the it's nice and warm and reheat it when it needs to be.

Good luck, I hope your gecko gets better.

Devildog

AC Members
Jul 11, 2005
Milwaukee,Wi
I have never kept gekos but sometimes when my snakes shead and the humidity is not high enough there eye caps don't shead off properly. Ussually I leave it but if does need to be removed I take scotch tape roll it press it agensed ma hand to make it less sticky and then lightly dab it on their eye till the cap comes off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store