Injured yo yo loach

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Winnie

AC Members
I possibly have the dumbest yo yo loach alive. You know those little holes at the bottom of clay flower pots? Well, recently I caught him stuck halfway through the hole. Totally stuck and thrashing. I gave his tail a yank and got him out then made sure the hole was covered.
This is partly my fault because the hole got uncovered during tank maintenance and the silly fish did it again this morning. Only this time, he really scraped off his scales and there is a white gash across his back.
Question: will this heal or will he always have a scar?
And, what are other people's tales of fish stupidity?

Sensei_the_dojo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
Can't answer your question about scarring, but I'd really suggest either finding a way to increase the diameter of that hole so he can fit through it next time, or closing it off with silicone.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It will depend on how much damage was done. The area should cover over with skin again, but if the flesh was damaged (ie, it's concave) too much, that might not grow back. I've had it go either way. You'll want to watch for bacterial infections--they can be deadly with an open wound.

I agree--either break out the entire bottom, or seal those holes. It will happen again.

Hootchieman

I may be crazy, but I'm not insane.
Oct 22, 2002
Victoria, B.C.
Visit site
Yes Yo-Yos are very interesting to watch. Mine did a "leap of faith" one day onto a group of towels I had left on the floor. Luckily, no harm done, other than my cat needing therapy to recover from the shock. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store