Mollies sick.. Help?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reignman40

AC Members
Jun 15, 2005
Spokane, WA, USA
Hello all. I just got a couple of Mollies, one black and one dalmation, less then 2 weeks ago. Initially they both swam all over the tank together. However yesterday when I got home I couldn't find them at first. Upon closer inspection I noticed them both simply hovering in the bottom corner behind some fake plants. I even tossed a little food in there at feeding time and they didn't really respond, or at least I didn't see them out of the corner. (They could have come out briefly as I have 3 tanks to feed and wasn't paying attention the few minutes after I tossed the food in.)

After a few hours of this same behavior I decided to investigate. My black molly has this sort of white fungus growing. Mostly right by it's eyes. The dalmation molly didn't appear to have fungus, but it was hard to see and he was exhibiting the same behavior. First, is there any other type of sickness this could be as far as something actually growing on the fish?

Second, if it is fungus how do I treat. I quarantined the molly and now just need to know what to do to treat it.

reignman40

AC Members
Jun 15, 2005
Spokane, WA, USA
Mishi u ROCK! I read through that article and that is exactly what's happening. Thank you, I'll go get the medacine after work today and hopefully I can save my poor mollies.

I also have one question. My dalmation molly hasn't shown any external signs of the infection, however he has exhibited the same behavioral changes. Should I just quarantine and treat both of them together?

Thanks,
Curtis

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
If the fish is already in a quarantine tank, would you recommend Maracyn before the bio-filter-friendly treatments?

I'm not too concerned about the bio-filter in the q-tank.

thx for the info. I have a Red Sword who just started to exhibit the same symptoms.

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
I have no experience with Maracyn. Personally, I'd always try gentler remedies before going to an antibiotic, especially if you don't know for sure what the health problem is.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Columnaris is a bacterial infection and should be treated with an antibiotic. Melafix and primafix are not strong enough to fight a full fledged infection, and could waste important time. Treatment should be done with something like Maracyn (one or two). It has never hurt my biofilter, but a q-tank is still a good idea. I would also add 2 tbsp of salt per 10g to the q-tank and keep the water pristine.

You should also see if you can find out the reason why the fish became ill. Check your water for ammonia and nitrite, see if anything is harassing them. Fish rarely fall ill for no reason at all.

FYI, fungus is fuzzy (usually) while bacteria is smooth.

HTH

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
Thanks for stepping in with the info, Pumaward. I had not personal experience using Maracyn, so I couldn't advise more. :) Flexibacter columnaris, although it looks fuzzy, is caused by bacteria, not a fungus. (But you said that first thing in your reply...oops!...guess I should try reading more thoroughly!)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store