Breeding gouramis

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

flutterbye75

Friend, not Foe!!
Mar 17, 2005
BC, Canada
Hi all,

I have 3 gold gourami (i male 2 female)and I was thinking about breeding them. Both females are plump and gravid. Does anyone have any good advice or tricks of the trade to share. Any help is great.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Conditioning, getting the male interested, and providing him with a low current area to build his nest. Being able to remove the girls (and everything else) from the tank will give him the peace he needs to raise them.

flutterbye75

Friend, not Foe!!
Mar 17, 2005
BC, Canada
I have a sponge filter and some java moss in the tank as well as gravel on the bottom. Is there anything else i need for the tank?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
That should be good enough. What size tank is it? Will you be able to pull the girls out right away? If not, I'd provide something for them to hide in for a while--chunks of PVC work well, and are easily removed.

flutterbye75

Friend, not Foe!!
Mar 17, 2005
BC, Canada
they are in a 20 gallon.....also will a 10 gallon be sufficient for breeding them?
I have a 10 gallon that is not in use. I would like to set it up and try breeding in that one as well.

flutterbye75

Friend, not Foe!!
Mar 17, 2005
BC, Canada
I also have a 20 gallon community tank that they were originally in. I could put her back in there if I have to. It is currently housing a few varieties of tetras and corydoras.

flutterbye75

Friend, not Foe!!
Mar 17, 2005
BC, Canada
how do you know if the gouramis are getting sufficient air in the water with just a small sponge filter? This may be a silly question seens they are labryinth breathers. I doesnt hurt to ask anyways.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The 10 should be fine for breeding, and the females should be able to return to the community setup once she's done. I'd plan on using that other 20 for the fry.

No worries for oxygen--labyrinth fish don't care. Making sure the water is clean is more important.

flutterbye75

Friend, not Foe!!
Mar 17, 2005
BC, Canada
well I woke up this morning to a beautiful start to a bubblenest. I was just wondering what to expect now as far as the males behavior? This is my first attempt to breed these fish. So I am a little clueless. Also, how will I know if they spawned? Are there any tell tale signs? Thanks for your help, everyone! ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store