Stuff On Fish And Now Stuff On Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Demonliez

AC Members
Jul 10, 2005
Winnipeg
Ok so i'll start from the beginning.. I set up one of my 20 gallon tanks to be for the goldfish my girlfriend wants to buy.. It ran fishless for 2 weeks and then I had one of my cichlids in there for 2 weeks because it went pshyco when i added new fish(its back in the 90G and doing fine now). At the same time i took it out i added 3 cory catfish 2 are an inch and one is a little bigger than an inch to the 20G. 3 days later my girlfriend went out and bought her goldfish. A red cap oranda. Shes not the best at picking fish because this fish had scab like things all over its fins.

The fish seems to be fine and has no problems eating or swimming and is showing no signs of distress. So far a week has passed and it "seems" to be getting better.. but now theres clusters of something showing up on the glass. The first time this happend was on monday after i had to replace some of the tank water the day before(filter problems.. the impellor doesnt like all the sand the goldfish spits up). There was a small yellow streak about a cm long and 2 mm thick it looked like a cluster of pin head size bubbles, there were also 2 other clusters but these where white in colour on the other side of the tank. I though it "could" be eggs but i never heard of fish laying eggs on the glass, and the goldfish is alone, and i thought the cory's were to small so out came the algea scrubber and i got rid of the stuff..

On tuesday the water was a bit cloudy so i did a 50% water change. Now today is thursday and there is another yellow streak a bit bigger and almost in the same place as the first yellow streak. If it is eggs i dont want to remove them again so i figured id ask all of you for your help.. whenever i post pictures they never show up so i'll just post the link to my site and you can look at the pictures there

http://groups.msn.com/CichlidsAquaria/disease.msnw?Page=Last

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The 'scabs' actually look like fish lice, and they will need to be removed, and the fish treated to prevent the holes from becoming infected. A salt treatment, similar to that used for ich, will likely be effective, and safer than a chemical treatment or manual removal of the lice.

Can't help on the streaks--cories do lay eggs, but they look like a cluster or eggs, or individual eggs scattered around, rather than a streak.

Demonliez

AC Members
Jul 10, 2005
Winnipeg
so i just catch the fish and pull them off with my fingers? will these things come back and could the cluster things be the lices eggs?

Kasakato

SatCan
Sep 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
OG is exactly right on the fish lice. Salt and heat will be your best bet. Take a look at it here: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39759

You probably don't want to be picking them off by hand. They may get infected which makes it worse. The salt and heat will kill the lice so they die, and come off nicely.

The yellow streaks can be a lot of things. What other live stock is in the tank? Any snails?

Demonliez

AC Members
Jul 10, 2005
Winnipeg
well unfortunatly its to late.. i was reading around on the net and most sites said to pick the lice off and so i caught the goldfish and removed them all already, and it was lice. After i put it back in the tank it looked immediatly relieved either from not having the lice or from not having my pick at it in a bucket. I removed about 8 lice before putting the fish back in the tank, but on closer inspection i can still see one more on one of the inner most small fins so thats probably why i missed it. I also purchased some meds (blue pills that came in a pop out thing) and i added that so if the meds dont kill the last lice or the others that may be swimming around i'll try removing them again.. and most sites said salt doesnt do anything to fish lice, and seeing how my goldfish is a cold water fish raising the temperature to anything that would do anything to the parasite would also affect the fish right?? and theres only 3 cory catfish in with the goldfish

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
As long as there is adequate surface agitation, goldfish can tolerate higher temps for a short time (3-4 weeks). The salt will help prevent the injuries from becoming infected.

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
the warmer water for a short time won't harm the goldfish, but the colder water long term won't really be good for the corys....

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Cories are fine with treatment levels of salt for the short time needed. I've used higher levels of salt for treatment for 6 weeks with no long term complications for my cories. Fish lice, however, are a big problem, and will attack the cories as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store