neon rainbows and angelfish????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jimmypossum

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
Brisbane, Queensland ,Australia
hey all I have a 90 gallon tank that has 5 neon dwarf rainbowfish, a 2 inch bristlenose and some zebra danios(which are being moved). So my question is can angelfish go with the neon dwarf rainbows????. or i would like some ideas of what to put in the tank i love angels. thanks in advance James :thm:

sky.eyes.woman

I'd rather be in Hockeytown!
Dec 6, 2004
Greenville, SC
Well, in that size tank your angels will get pretty big, and if you have one or more that has a 'tough guy' attitude, the smaller fish could be harassed or even eaten, depending on their size. If you don't want to risk the rainbows, move them. You might get lucky and get some angels that are 'nice', but then again you might not. I'm not sure if they are like some oscars in the way that they are less likely to harass fish they grew up with. I gave up on keeping them years ago.

CharlieV

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
sky.eyes.woman said:
You might get lucky and get some angels that are 'nice', but then again you might not.
Couldn't agree more - I just lost an Angel - he just stopped eating - i THink it's beacuase out of the 4 I had one of them is a real bully.

My Angels will be living in a 100g with Cardinal Tetras and I've been told that if you buy Juvenile ANgels and let them grow up with the other fiish they are less likely to see them as a snack - this is no garuntee though!

sky.eyes.woman

I'd rather be in Hockeytown!
Dec 6, 2004
Greenville, SC
I wish I could have had more experience keeping angels, but when I lived in Michigan a couple of years ago I gave up out of frustration. The water there was insanely hard, about 330ppm GH. I used the water softener pillows from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals and they worked really well and got the GH down to about 80, but my angels would never do well. If I did not put Aquarisol in the water every single day they would get fungus and die within two weeks. I got them from different stores and all my other fish including other South American cichlids such as severums did fine. Never did figure out what was killing them.

bdobosz

Jan 2, 2005
I have rainbow fish in my tank with 6 5"+ Angels. It is a bit larger tank, but I havent had any problems. I have only seen aggression out of the Angels when they are tyring to breed. Otherwise they have been quite tame with all of the other fish.

jimmypossum

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
Brisbane, Queensland ,Australia
so get young angelfish?

hey thanks for the help so what you guys are saying are saying maybe three or four angels around 2 inches high and see how they go? and would a moonlight gourmi :joe: or two be ok with the angels and rainbowfish?
:joe: thanks James

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store