pH issues...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Squealor

AC Members
Jun 30, 2005
Boston, MA
So, while AC was down, I had a bit of an emergency... In one day, I lost two of my Julii Cory cats. At the time, I had 6 serpae tetras and three cories. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what happened. All levels are great (Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - 5~10). Symptoms came suddenly - cory lying on it's side on the gravel, would try to swim and would just spiral around and crash back to gravel. No new things added to water, no new decorations, etc. Finally, I think I figured out what happened... I had done a fairly large water change (30% or even a little more) the night before. I tested my tap water and the pH is MUCH higher than my tank water (probably b/c of the driftwood, I think). My tank water is around 7.2 and my tap is literally off the charts at 8.8. Could I have shocked my cories by adding the different pH water? Also, I want to make sure that I don't do it again with water changes. While the board was down, I made a couple VERY SMALL water changes at a time, only a bucket or so at a time. How can I change my tap water to be at the same pH so this doesn't happen again?
Just to update, the remaining cory made it fine and I recently added 5 more. They swim around in a little school and seem very happy, but I'm still bummed I lost 2 b/c of a beginner mistake. :(

Squealor

AC Members
Jun 30, 2005
Boston, MA
Oh, and did I mention that I really missed you guys?! You've helped me so much in the past that I was horrible to go through this without the help!!!

reignman40

AC Members
Jun 15, 2005
Spokane, WA, USA
I am with you about the board. I actually had 2 fish die while the board was down as well. However they were already unhealthy and being treated for fungus.

Anyway, I too am very glad the board is back. This is by far the best board I've been on and the quickest responses. Honestly I am not 100% sold on the pH being the exact issue the fish died but it's also not out of the realm of reality. What I would do is keep with smaller 10-15% changes twice a week. This should move the pH slowly up in your tank as you slowly introduce the tap water. Then when your tank water is closer in pH to the tap water. Mainly we just want to make sure the change comes slowly. With pH your main concern is to keep it consistent.

Hope this helps,
Curtis

Squealor

AC Members
Jun 30, 2005
Boston, MA
The KH of the tank is around 2.4, not sure on the tap, I'll have to test it. The water that I am putting in the tank during water changes is tap water that's been sitting out for at least 24 hours to a week (have a big rubbermaid tub for holding water) with the declorinator already in it. pH of tap and holding tank is VERY high. Both 8.8.

Squealor

AC Members
Jun 30, 2005
Boston, MA
Just did the test... the tap water and tank water are exact same KH at 2.24. I've read that driftwood can drastically change pH and I have a big hunk of it in there... I also saw that there is a chemical that you can add to water to neutralize it (pH of 7) which would be closer to the tank water than my tap, but I didn't know if it's good for the tank... I've never added any chemicals except for the declorinator and plant fertilizers...

Squealor

AC Members
Jun 30, 2005
Boston, MA
Oh, and no matter how many water changes I make, for the past several weeks (after adding driftwood), the pH of the tank is always around 7.2-7.4 even though the tap is 8.8. No matter how much high pH water I add, it eventually seems to neutralize.

Kasakato

SatCan
Sep 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Depending on the type of wood. Some will lower the pH more than others. Try taking a glass of tank water and add some tap water to it. See how much of a difference there is. I have the same thing in my tank, but the wood is able to lower the pH before it is a problem for the fish. And don't use any "perfect pH" or any products like that. They will give you more problems than you have now.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Even the holding water is high pH? From such a low KH, I would suspect that the tapwater is artificially high from pressurization and CO2, which then gasses off. A KH that low won't be able to maintain a high pH--very little biological activity will burn through the KH, and pH will drop. If the water is still high pH after sitting out, or agitation, then there's something else in operation--you'll want to identify what that is, and address it.

In the mean time, I'd add a bit of baking soda to increase the buffer, and experiment (in a glass, not in the tank) what amount you need to raise the KH to above 3.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store