Black Mystery Snail and his Shell

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

currcat

AC Members
Dec 27, 2004
Storm Lake, Iowa
www.xanga.com
Hey!

Quick question for yah all, I have a Black Mystery Snail that I got a while back and I have been noticing that he has a crack on his shell that is growing, and is now probably about an inch long. Do you think it will be ok, or is there anything I can do to stop this? I have had him for about 4 weeks or so. Any ideas or help would be great. Thank you!

Cat

beautifulfish

Fishies are cool!
Aug 17, 2005
Troms?,Norway
When I had a black mystery snail and gold snail I noticed thin cracks in their shell also. Mine died but I don't think that is why. I find them hard to keep. I don't have anymore because they kept on dying, my fish ate them, and they don't keep the tank clean. They do look pretty though!

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
try putting cuttle bone in the tank, i am not sure about mystery snails but most snails need different nutrients that the aquatic enviroment doesnt always provide,

janderson

certified geek
Jul 18, 2005
Colorado Springs
any questions about applesnails

should get answered here :read: . It's a great site and if you post you'll get your answers quickly.

I hope you'll find some help! I love my applesnails and don't find them hard to keep at all: They eat only decaying plant matter (live plant safe!), are very effective at eating whatever the fishies let drop to the floor and can tolerate a wide spectrum of water conditions. The do, however, need some calcium for healthy shell growth. You cann add it either in liquid form or, as mentioned above, just drop a piece of cuttlebone (bird section!) in the tank - works fine for me.

PS: As far as I know, such cracks can be repaired

Last edited:

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
follow the above advice and add calcium supplement to the tank. the only big problem is if the crack starts at the opening of the shell, then it will just get wider as the snail grows. it may not be able to heal that b/c the growing edges are too far apart to really mend.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store