Just got some Apisto. Cacatuoides

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Mar 10, 2005
Columbus, OH
I just purchased a pair of cacatuoides for only $20! They were regularly priced that a piece but the store was having a buy one get one sale I could not pass them up. I put them in my 10g that my breeding pair of rams was in before he decided to kill her and moved my ram to another tank. Hopefully I can get these fish to breed. Any tips or suggestions?

kayla

weeeeee!
Jul 24, 2005
If the fish are happy, healthy,the water paraments are good, and they are mature enough to spawn. They might. Although, 10gal is kinda small, thats maybe why one of your fish got killed. Not enough room. Good Luck

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
Congrats, be very sure you have a male and female. Many petstores only have males, just do a quick search on google and you'll find pictures of both.

Water temp I'd keep 80ish, and keep it clean, a couple 50% changes each week, high protein foods. Lots of brineshrimp, bloodworms, and the like to condition them. Then just give them sometime.

kayla

weeeeee!
Jul 24, 2005
A few more things...
Make sure you have caves in your tank. The male will most likely claim the caves, and when the female is ready to spawn she will turn bright yellow. That type of apisto is pretty easy to breed.

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
actually with Cacts. its the females that pick their own territory, not the male. Caves will work, but they will spawn on a lot of things. Cacts. are generally harem breeders, meaning one male will tend to several females and is allowed to pass through their territories, the females however will not allow other females to pass into their territories.

For cacts the 10gal will be fine, rams it was a little small, obviously you didn't have a well bonded pair which is what caused the issue. For a strong pair bond a 10gal is fine for rams.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store