Gourami with Angelfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JinxXx0085

AC Members
Jun 12, 2005
Montana
After reading a couple of forums... I'm still not satfisied... can my 2 angelfish coexist with a gourami?
I wanted to get a dwarf gourami. My tank specs are in signature. The plan is get an otto and a gourami and then I'm satisfied with my stocking level for this tank. Does it sound right for stocking level?
Thanks for reading this.
::EDIT::
I've read on other sites stating that angelfish can coexist with gouramis. I wanted to be real sure before I go ahead and add anything. ;)

Last edited:

SDRANGER619

something more family oriented.....
Sep 1, 2004
San Diego, CA (El Cajon)
I have two Platinum Gouramis coexisting with two Angels...all is well

JinxXx0085

AC Members
Jun 12, 2005
Montana
Thanks for your comments. I've been wanting to get one male gourami. I only hope it will be ok for my stocking level. I'll just wait for more responses. :hi:

aknif

...maybe the Dingo ate your baby!!
Dec 27, 2004
Denver, CO
I have 3 angelfish and 6 assorted gouramis in together, albeit in a much bigger tank. Are you planning a tank upgrade soon? I think the 2 angelfish alone will need more than 29 gallons to be happy, personally...

JinxXx0085

AC Members
Jun 12, 2005
Montana
I won't be able to upgrade until I move out of this apt. This tank is the biggest I can go in this size of apt. I've read that some species of angels can live happily in 30 gallon and since I have 29 gallon so I thought they would be ok in it, they are still a juvie, its body side is around quarter sized.

aknif

Dec 27, 2004
Denver, CO
If it were my tank, I'd leave the gourami out for now, add a couple more cory cats and a couple more harlequins and call it good. I also have harlequins, LOVE THEM. Wish hubby would let me have a bigger tank on the kitchen counter... :p: Anyway, I think the angels will grow and be happy in there for now, without throwing in a gourami who may get a little feisty with them, since they're still so small.

Hey! I just noticed that you're in Colorado too! We're neighbors! ;)

JinxXx0085

AC Members
Jun 12, 2005
Montana
Neighbors!!! YAY!! :D
You think so about leaving out gourami?? But they are pretty! I've never had one :sad:
I'll defintely add an oto cause I always have sunlight on my tank for a couple of hours and now I have some algae, it will work out great for new oto :bday: I wasn't sure if I should add more cory if I had a quite number of bottom dwellers as you can see in my signature.

aknif

Dec 27, 2004
Denver, CO
Ok, so yea, maybe the oto and a few more rasboras then. :) I know cories like pals, and I think you could have one more as long as you're feeding enough to get to the bottom for everyone to eat... But as far as the gouramis go, if it were my tank, I'd just keep the two angels as your "centerpiece" fish for now and hold off on a gourami until you can get a bigger tank. My blue and lavendar gouramis are both males and they're both pretty sassy to everyone, including the angelfish, all 3 of whom are BIGGER than they are....

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
I would still hold off on the angels i know your anxious and it's hard to resist but what if you are unable to upgrade? the tank is too small for the angels and other fish

however, yes gouramis co-exist fine with angels - mine largely ignore each other

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store