Ram or rams in a 15hex?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

flamingomonster

AC Members
Aug 19, 2005
I really like the rams. My lfs has 'german rams' and some that they call 'golden rams.' I am unsure if the scientific names are on the labels. I really like the golden rams. They are white with yellow, orange, and red. They are stunning!

I have a 15 gallon hex that has lots of java ferns, java moss, two anubias, and a piece of driftwood. The substrate is a mix of gravel and fluorite. Right now, there is a 'chinese butterfly loach' in the tank, but thats all. I've tested the water and the ph was 6.8, kh about 30, gh 0-25, nitrate somewhere between 0-20, and nitrite 0. The tank has been running four days and I dumped a bunch of 'dirty' gravel in it and a few fake plants from a friends established tank. The live plants should also have some bacteria on them too to help jump start things. There were a few fish in the plant tanks at the store.

After doing a bit of research, I decided the loach won't go well with the fish I want, so I am going to give him to my sister who has an appropriate set up.

I would really like to try the golden rams. I would be happy with just one, but have read they are happier in pairs? I think it would be really neat to have the ram/s? on the bottom and some sort of schooling small fish for the top. Cardinal tetras would be very high on the list. I've read that these fish aren't the best for tanks that haven't been established. I've kept fish in the past, but want to for sure do it right this time around.

Would this work out? And if so, when can I add a fish or few? I can keep or relocate the loach at any time.

Long post... thanks for reading.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
The rams would be happier with more space to spread out. Since they hang around mostly near the bottom, a 15 hex doesn't really give them much elbow room. If you do decide on the rams I would just get one. Even a bonded pair will get aggressive towards each other from time to time and they need room to get away from each other when that happens.

One in that tank should be fine Flame... ;)

pictus5

AC Members
Aug 15, 2005
tampa
just 1 would be fine

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store