Angel Fish Compatibility

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crazymotorbiker

Registered Member
May 23, 2005
Hey,

I went to the fish shop the other day and got some angel fish, i asked the guy there about compatibility and he said that they'll live happily with the fish in my tank, which are as follows:-

Neon Tetras x8
Catfish x20
Red Tail Shark x1
Glass Shrimp x2
Frog x2
Guppies x15
Golden Tetras x6
Female Fighter x1

All these fish have lived happily together, and i've never had a problem.

Will the angel fish disturb any of these fish, or worse eat any thing in my tank!

Cheers,
Shaun

Hog Boy

125 FOWLR Aggressive
Aug 20, 2005
Wisconsin
Angel Fish

Hey just became a member today, wanted to see how all this worked. Angel fish will harasse your tank mates.

Candycat21

Dec 17, 2004
Charlotte, NC
First off, what size is your tank? Hope it's a very large one because you have a good number of fish there ;)
Well, the Angels will more than likely get harrassed, nipped and chased by the red-tailed shark.
The Angels once they get to a larger size may snack on your neons, but that's a 50/50 chance. I think it depends on the individual Angels. I've kept Angels and neons together since I started having fish and never had a problem with the Angels eating the neons, but that's just me.
The frogs that you have, are the African Dwarf frogs or another kind? If they are the AD's then you may also have a problem with the Angels nipping at them while they're floating on the surface etc since they're slow moving.
How many Angels did you get?
Get back to us and let us know as far as what size tank you have and how many angels etc. :thm:

TONO

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
Neon Tetras x8 maybe a problem
Catfish x20 what kind of catfish ottos are ok with anything even large cichlids
Red Tail Shark x1 problem way too agressive for your other tankmates
Glass Shrimp x2 maybe a problem
Frog x2 maybe a problem
Guppies x15 maybe a problem
Golden Tetras x6 maybe a problem
Female Fighter x1 fine

It also will depend greatly on the size of your tank plants etc.

Last edited:

Mookka

Fish Addict = poor man
Apr 4, 2005
This could get tricky......

Alright lemme start off and say that your angel with chase stuff around but probably wont eat any of it. The only thing that worries me with your set up is the shark in the mix they make great fin nippers and angels have plenty of that!

redparrotbubble

"you guys want some cookies???"
Aug 21, 2005
West Hempstead New York
The angel will probably chase many of your fish. although it is not one of the more aggressive cichlids it is still much more aggressive then many of the other community fish that you have in there already. but this also highly depends in the tank size that they are all in. if its like a 75gallon it isnt so bad if none of the current fish get too large. also what kind of catfish are these?cories? reply back with some more information so it will be easier to give you a definitive answer.HTH.
-Mike

crazymotorbiker

Registered Member
May 23, 2005
Hey,
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated :eek:)

My tanks 120L, i test and change the water regular and, touch wood have never had a major out break of disease. Ammonia, nitrite, Nitrate and PH are all are perfect levels.

I haven't had a problem with the red tail shark yet, he's never nipped ought and he is quite large now, so i haven't had a problem with him....ermm as for catfish, i have no idea what they are, although one is rather large, about half a foot.

The frogs where just bought as aquatic frogs, well thats how they were labelled at the pet shop, and they are fairly small.

Thanks for your help,
Shaun.

Puffernewbee

AC Members
Dec 9, 2004
Katy, TX
For a 30 gallon tank you are already way overstocked. No room for angel fish which get up to 6 inches.
I recently had to remove my red tailed shark because he harrassed everything in the tank on a constant basis.

CharlieV

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
120l is too small for anything but growing angels IMO.
I have 3 in my 30g all of which are moving to my 100g in a week. 6" is a minimum to class this fish by - I have seen Peterophyllum Scalare that have lived in a tank all their life at around 10" form top to bottom.
I once had an RTS - he tried to kick the cr** out of my marbles until he realised he was fiting a loosing battle! He then got bullied to death by the angels.

i think your tank is overstocked so would not recommend any fish right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store