Bluegill

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beautifulfish

Fishies are cool!
Aug 17, 2005
Troms?,Norway
Bluegill can get big. I think you would need a pretty good sized tank. They are fun fish to catch! If it ever groaws too big you can always eat it! They are sure good!!!!

techno365

AC Members
Aug 21, 2005
100gallon+

jung4g

Registered Member
Aug 22, 2005
A member of my family caught a top 5 bluegill for Wisconsin a few years ago, at well over 1 lb, I forget the exact size, but they can get very big.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I've eaten them in a pinch when money was low, not bad. They fall into the category "panfish", any fish that is tallish and round so it fits nicely into a pan. The reason you don't hear too many fishermen talking about(and relatedly no one eating them) them is they don't get 5,000,000 pounds. And you know how we fisherman are. Who cares if you got a record breaking fish that was only 13 inches. Not much of a fish story there.;)

beautifulfish

Fishies are cool!
Aug 17, 2005
Troms?,Norway
I agree with you cyberberr65! They are excellent to eat! I have caught a pretty good sized bluegill and it was delicious! ok..that wasn't about the post..sorry.

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
I do agree that bluegill are panfish. My grandpa loves perch but I find them too bony. I don't think you should eat fish that you keep as pets. Aside from just being kinda wierd, I know that if you put any kind of aquarium chemicals in your tank then the fish are not edible. As for the original question, I would assume that you would need a large tank with an excellent filter and probably a chiller.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store