Yellow Tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beautifulfish

Fishies are cool!
Aug 17, 2005
Troms?,Norway
Are yellow tangs hard to take care of? They are my favorite fish EVER but I have freshwater fish at the present. I would like to go into marine aquariums in the future but I want to master freshwater first. Thanks for your answers!

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
They arent too hard to care for, but make sure you have a bit enough tank. Tangs need a lot of space to swin becuase they are grazers, they like to swim alllll over and graze the algae and pick at rocks. A 55 gallon tank for a yellow tang is a good size. Most tangs are prone to diseases, or so ive heard. Be sure to do a lot of research before you set up a marine tank, from experience, they require a lot more care and money then a freshwater tank.

Hog Boy

125 FOWLR Aggressive
Aug 20, 2005
Wisconsin
I've had a yellow tang for two years now and he's had ick twice. Jullius Sprung has whole seaweed leaves of all varieties, also I feed San Francisco Bay Brand Emerald Entree soaked in selcon, wich is stabilized Vitamin C, a must have in my opinion for all of your fish. Live rock is what they graze on in the wild, and you can't beat that.

AW2EOD

Former Squid
Jun 14, 2004
IL
Visit site
Actually, a Yellow Tang would need at least a 90gal (preferably 125gal. or bigger)...not a 55gal.

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
i have seen several yellow tangs housed in 55 gallon tanks that do suprisingly well. i think one yellow tang in a 55 is ok, assuming that it is the main focus of your tank, and you dont overcrowd with an additional dozen smaller fish.

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
BF, I would consider Yellow Tangs to be in the "medium" category of difficulty. They are hardy as long as water quality is good, but will NOT tolerate poor husbandry; often the first to show stress and die due to low PH, dissolved organics, poor filtration, etc. They could be considered a canary fish, or system indicator of overall aquarium health. YT's are removed from the Big Island at a rate of about 250,000 or more per year, causing some debate about sustainability. I have always thought they should command a higher price, considering their beauty, but they can still be had for about 15.00-20.00 each.
These fish should be reserved for systems 6 months old or more, which usually warrants some green micro algae for continuous grazing. Algae can also be farmed on rocks placed in grow-out jars located in a sunny window sill with an airstone, then rotated into the display as needed. These living greens can be supplemented with Nori and other processed algae products; YT's are not picky eaters but greens must be part of the diet for optimum health and vigor.

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
yellow tangs are good fish, but i would add it last so your other fish have time to settle in. my friend has one and it stressed out his other fish, which died

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store