Newbie ? Confused about Chloramine / Ammonia

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

macphoto

AC Members
Aug 19, 2005
Newbie – Confused about Chloramine / Ammonia

We set up our 16g bowfront tank this weekend, and added a couple of dwarf gouramis on Sunday evening to start out with. One thing that alarmed me at first was the apparent .50 ammonia reading. Even untreated water straight out of the tap was showing this. After reading here for a while, I determined that our water is probably treated with chloramine, which, if I understand correctly, will throw off ammonia test strips when it is neutralized by aquarium water treatments, or even by the substances present in the strips themselves.

I went ahead and added some Ammo-Lock, just in case (supposedly it will not interfere with the biological cycle), and I realize that it too can result in unreliable ammonia test results (the neutralized ammonia still shows up on the test).

I did a 1/3 water change yesterday, and will continue to do this daily until the tank is cycled (no nitrite spike so far), and I used Ammo-Lock for the replacement water as well... our water probably doesn't have ammonia in it, but I'm using it just to be sure.

Anyway, I'm just puzzled now about testing for ammonia (not only right now during the cycling phase, but later as well). Assuming that my tap water does not contain ammonia, and that it's just the chloramine interfering with the test strips, do I have any options for doing an accurate ammonia test? Are there any water treatments that handle chloramine in such a way that it doesn't show up as ammonia on the tests? Or maybe a different test kit? I'm using Mardel now.

Thanks!

--Mike

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Test strips aren't good for testing water treated with an ammonia-complexer (like Amquel, AmmoLock2, or Prime). Test strips use the Nessler method for measuring ammonia. You need tests that use the salicylate method for testing for free (non-complexed) ammonia. Salicylate test are often labelled as such, and they are marked by the use of two reagent chemicals, rather than one.

By the way, good for you for deducing that your water has chloramines. That often puzzles people!

Good luck,
Jim

Kasakato

SatCan
Sep 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada

macphoto

AC Members
Aug 19, 2005
Thanks for the info... I stopped on the way home and picked up one of those test kits. Plain tapwater is still showing .25 or .5! So, I guess I really do have ammonia in my water.

--Mike

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
It's been a while since I tested, but I recall my tap water (which has chloramines) testing positive both before and after treating it with a simple dechlorinator (sodium thiosulfate). If memory serves, I think it looked a bit higher in ammonia after the dechlor, but not markedly so. If I have a minute, I'll pull out the ammonia kit tonight and give it a try.

Jim

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
It does, Jim. You are correct so far as my water goes as well. I've given up double testing, just check for ammonia. If it is there, I need Prime. I don't pay a lot of attention to the exact titer, if it is there, chloramine is in use. If it is not, just aging will do for me.

orthikon

AC Members
Aug 22, 2005
JSchmidt said:
Test strips aren't good for testing water treated with an ammonia-complexer (like Amquel, AmmoLock2, or Prime). Test strips use the Nessler method for measuring ammonia. You need tests that use the salicylate method for testing for free (non-complexed) ammonia. Salicylate test are often labelled as such, and they are marked by the use of two reagent chemicals, rather than one.

By the way, good for you for deducing that your water has chloramines. That often puzzles people!

Good luck,
Jim
is the "salicylate method" u mention the one like in this kit?

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_sku=2305

i'm about to buy a test kit that's like that from my LFS. Which contains bottles of chemicals that you add to the water (ammonia had 3 i believe) then compare the color to a chart. is this similar to what you are describing?

Also I had my water tested at petco where they were using test strips. I add amquel to my water. So the water treatment throw off test strip readings?

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
Usually it will say somewhere on the box or in the instructions Nessler or Salicylate reagant.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Yes, salicylate tests use more than one reagent, but I woild not allow that to define the test- it does not. Google on whatever brand of test you have available, specifically to the manufacturer's site.

The test strips are usually Nessler's, and worthless.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store