angel question?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mocular

Novice Expert
Feb 10, 2005
Nebraska
what is the smallest tank i can keep two young angels in for a couple months while i work on getting a bigger one?

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Are they a mated pair?

If so, then a 30 gallon would be fine.

If they are not a mated pair then not any size tank.

Angels should only be kept alone or in groups of a minimum of 3. If they are not mated the stronger/bigger one will pick on the other one furiously. If you have 3 in the tank, the bully can spread out his aggression to two fish and not only one getting all the abuse.

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
angel tank size

If its only tempararery a ten can do, but as a warning if kept there for long there growth WILL be stunted. Wen getting the main tank angels like high aquariums to help there groth from anal to dorsal fin. In a large/high enough tank angels can reach an impressive size of 12inches high and 4-5inches long, but that would probably take at the VERY LEAST a 55 high. a 125 high best for those kind of angles. at the lfs, If something like that were to come up, it would be 30$+.

Candycat21

Dec 17, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Why not just wait until you have the main tank up and running? That way you will save some money as well as not putting the fish through more moving than they should go through.
To answer your question though, a 29 or 30 gallon would be good. Don't go with anything smaller, you'll have more hassles with a 10 gallon versus a 30 gallon most likely. A 10 gallon is not reccomended period for angels, even at a small size, unless they are just small fry a few weeks old, which I'm sure you're not getting LoL ;)
IMHO I would strongly suggest that you just wait until you have the big tank you're planning on getting and then add the angels once it's cycled, but that's just me :)
Good luck to you and enjoy your angels when you get them! :clap: They're great fish! I love mine!

Mocular

Novice Expert
Feb 10, 2005
Nebraska
my angels are only about an inch and a half high right now i have them in a 29 gal right now im waiting for the $$ to come in before getting anything bigger. How fast do they grow? how can i tell male from female? or know if they are going to be a mateing pair? what foods are the best for growth and color? have i asked enough questions?

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
They grow pretty quick. Can't give you a definite time amount to max size though. Also, Angels are notoriously difficult to sex. Often the only time you can tell is during breeding. The chanches of your two not only being of opposite genders, but also mating are pretty low. It is usually best to buy them already mated or to get a dozen and wait until two start hanging out with each other all the time.

Feed a wide variety of foods. There is a ton of information about that on the internet, so I won't repeat it all here, even if I did know all of it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store