29 Gal Photo Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jaylin

Don't ask if you don't want to know
Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
This is my first attempt with a SW setup. I have some help though ... JinxXx0085 hasn't done a SW set up either but she's going to help me with mine! :dance:

Haha JinxXx, GOT YA! :joke:

So far I've got:

29 gal tank/stand
Cyclone Backpack 2R - filter/protein skimmer
Aquaclear Powerhead 30 - plan to add one more powerhead
Stock heating and lighting - this will change, but since I'm only keeping sand at the moment I'm not worrying too much about it.

The tank has been filled
I've added sugar-sized aragonite sand
Oceanic salt has been added to a spec grav of 1.021
The pH as of yesterday was around 7.9 (I'm using Kent Marine Superbuffer-dKH to bring that up and will test again later today)

Jinxy took some pictures for me. (Thank you Jinx! :bowing: ) The tank was a bit cloudy because I had a slight buildup of salt/sand on the inside walls from the initial fill. We cleaned that off best we could and this morning the water is completly clear.

Next step will be too seed with live sand and add some live rock.

Initialsetup1.jpg Initialsetup2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Looks like a really good start. I like the bakpak, it's easy to use and skims pretty well.

If you ultimately want to keep corals. I'd suggest bringing the specific gravity closer to 1.025. Fish don't mind low salinity, but corals tend to be more finicky.

jaylin

Don't ask if you don't want to know
Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
Thanks Mogurnda! I will keep that in mind. One thing I'd like to ask about is that the local store where I plan to get most of my critters keeps their tanks at about 1.020 - will I have big problem acclimating critters if I keep mine higher?

Also ... I have some pics but can't get them uploaded. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? LOL!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store