What is the minumum tank size for 1 discus?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFreak101

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
i mite be getting 1 discus wat is the minium tank size?

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
You shouldn't keep just one discus, they are shoaling and social fish. Either should be 4-6 in a 55g, or a *bonded* pair in a min 29g... this is assuming they are BB. Otherwise, max pair in 55g, or 4 in 55g.

FishFreak101

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
darnit ok.

FishFreak101

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
lets sasy it was in a tank with other fish (bcause im not rich so i wood only be able to by 1).

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Really, if you can only get one, you should at least save up until you can get 2. More would be much better.

Kas, discus don't need daily water changes in general. It depends on your set up and what your doing. In BB tanks and grow out tanks yes, because you're promoting rapid growth. Also, many discus tanks are overstocked or at max stocking and therefore do need dailies... however, there are a many discus tanks that only get 1X a week 25-50% changes. This is much better to do with adults because their already grown out. I also use the "plop and drop" method when getting new fish, and I don't exhempt the discus from this. Discus are actually very forgiving fish... all and all, I think their easier than pet-shop guppies. You just have to understand their basic requirements like all fish.

WinterWind

Mad pianist
Feb 11, 2005
Discus have very specefic need to water quality, such as soft and acidic water. They are not for beginners, so if you are just starting out, I would not recommend discus.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
You know..the special needs thing was expressed in many informative sites about keeping german blue rams when I was looking up info on them. I had pretty much decided that I shouldn't get them from all the doom and gloom about "exacting" water conditions and the like....but then....my lfs here got a batch of them in and I coudn't resist.... :D Brought 3 home the first trip and a few weeks later picked up 2 more because the ones I had purchased were doing fine !

I haven't found all that scary information to be true at all concerning blue rams..and I'm thinking someday when I have enough for a proper sized tank...I would like to try discus.......HOWEVER......my german blues only cost me about 6 bucks each !!! Not quite the investment a good batch of discus would require....sooo.....guess it's a matter of counting the risk with the cost in order to find out if you'll be successful with them or not ... :huh:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store